Copy
Wednesday, April 10

Good morning, Penn.

Happy Wednesday! Graduate student workers at Penn will vote on whether to unionize next week, and the University announced the Sarah Katz Award recipient. 

But first, the DP analyzed grocery stores around Penn's campus to see which offers the most affordable prices.

SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Uchi Murima
Grocery prices near Penn, by the numbers

After finishing the two-year meal plan requirement instated by the University, many students choose to make meals on their own, requiring regular grocery shopping.

The DP analyzed differences in food prices from five grocery stores within a one-mile radius of Penn's campus, looking at prices for a set of staple food items. 

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

A student organization devoted to community service had its membership to its national group revoked last month. 

Penn's graduate students are preparing for a vote on whether to unionize next week. If successful, the union will be the largest at Penn in recent history.

Penn announced College and Wharton junior Aravind Krishnan as the recipient of the Sarah Katz Award, named in Katz's memory by the Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships.

Provost John Jackson Jr. appointed an advisory committee on community engaged scholarship to support University partnership with the Philadelphia community. 

MOST READ

Penn lecturer fired from Delaware County DEI position after filing racial discrimination complaint

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Sydney Curran

COLUMNIST CHLOE CHEN explores the idea of privacy privilege and the harsh media surveillance of female stars. 

SPORTS

Penn women's golf won the Falcon Invitational off a field-leading performance by sophomore Julie Shin.

Penn men's tennis wrapped up the weekend with two straight losses to No. 28 Cornell and No. 10 Columbia to fall to 0-3 in Ivy League play

IN PHOTOS

Photo by Jean Park

On April 8, over 1,000 Penn community members gathered on College Green to see the Great North American Eclipse. The Daily Pennsylvanian's photographers were on site and at viewing parties around campus, documenting each timestamp of the eclipse and the scene on the ground.

Click to read more about the once-in-a-lifetime scene.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

File Photo

In 2017, the DP reported that Acme would be replacing Fresh Grocer at the corner of 40th and Walnut streets. Today, the DP released a guide to grocery store prices around Penn's campus. 

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Sarah Marcus.

And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Joyce Lee.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

There was a day when the elusive markings on paper became words and stories that we could read and interpret on our own. But the journey towards decoding letters into words is no straightforward path. Currently, 70% of children in Philadelphia are behind their reading level by the time they reach fourth grade. Now, the Philadelphia School District is re-evaluating its literacy curriculum, turning towards a heavily researched, evidence-based curriculum.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

Four Items From Urban Outfitters Clearance Rack That Say: My Parents Were Absent During My Developmental Years
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Diamy Wang.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.