Copy
Monday, April 1

Good morning, Penn.

Happy Tuesday!

April Fools! Don't worry, you haven't missed of all of your Monday classes and midterms yet. 

The Graduate and Professional Student Assembly passed a decreased amount of funding for Penn Fight Night with several stipulations, and Penn Electric Racing unveiled its full-sized electric racing vehicle on College Green last week.

But first, the Iron Gate Theatre roof partially collapsed on Thursday night, forcing several student performances to relocate.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Derek Wong
Student shows forced to relocate after collapse 

On Thursday night, the roof of Iron Gate Theatre partially collapsed, leaving an eight-foot hole in the ceiling of the Stage Right area of the theater. The collapse happened after performing arts groups had finished rehearsing for the day.  

Multiple student groups had to relocate their shows to other locations with assistance from the Performing Arts Council executive board. It remains unclear whether Iron Gate Theatre will be repaired in time for student shows scheduled to take place starting on Friday. 

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

GAPSA approved decreased funding for Penn Fight Night, despite several members voicing concerns — and requested a public acknowledgement of allegations of its withheld donation to charity.

Julius Maada Bio, the president of Sierra Leone, spoke at the Third Annual Distinguished Lecture in African Studies last week, hosted by the Africana Studies Department and Perry World House.  

Penn Electric Racing displayed its new full-sized electric racing vehicle last Friday, ahead of its June competition.

Former President and CEO of Levi Strauss & Co. Chip Bergh spoke at a March 28 event hosted by Penn Fashion Week, with around 100 attendees. 

MOST READ

The ‘river of power’: Biden consulted Penn president about grandchild's application, 2018 texts show

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Jesse Zhang
GUEST COLUMNIST RAFAEL ÁLVAREZ FEBO argues that Penn needs to take racism on campus seriously and reform staff disciplinary procedures.

SPORTS

After a gripping 2OT battle, a goal from senior Cam Rubin lifted Penn men's lacrosse to an electrifying victory over No. 7 Cornell.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo by Maanvi Singh
In 2008, three students pranked Penn students and staff by distributing easter eggs around campus that contained a printed ticket to a fake speaker event with former President Barack Obama.

The tickets, along with flyers that were printed and hung around campus, advertised the event, which was sponsored a fake student group called Penn for Change. The event was organized by “Haley Reardan,” an alias that the students created based on two characters in Ayn Rand's novel “Atlas Shrugged.” 
Class of 2028: Send in your regular decision acceptance reactions by April 2 in an email to videoed@thedp.com. Make sure to include your full name, your hometown, and your Penn merch (optional).

BITE-SIZED DP

Welcome to Bite-Sized! Every week, we’ll be looking at the biggest headlines you should know.

Last week, our reporters covered important stories in the Penn community. In 2018 and 2019, President Joe Biden discussed the one of his granddaughters’ Penn application with then-President Amy Gutmann and then-Dean of Admissions Eric Furda, and two of the largest Penn Engineering clubs expressed dissatisfaction with inadequate support and unequal treatment from Penn. In addition, 2000 College graduate and 2005 Wharton MBA graduate Caroline Strzalka received a $500,000 investment on a recently aired episode of Shark Tank.

Check out more on our reporting on our website.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Srikar Venkatesan, Trini Feng, Joyce Lee, Katharine Peng, and Clarice Wang.

And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Evan Stubbs.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

Penn's tuition benefits for faculty members have long been under-advertised to its employees. This week, Street explains that while word of mouth communication is one of the primary methods of information dissemination regarding these benefits, Penn can ultimately market itself better to its own employees, benefiting already overlooked demographics in Penn's community.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

Watch out for our joke issue this Thursday — UTB in print! Also, mark your calendar for this Friday — UTB comedy night, 7 p.m., Smokes. Be there. 
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Asha Chawla.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.