Copy
Thursday, February 29

Good morning, Penn.

Happy leap day! I'm relishing this as my first, and hopefully only, leap day at Penn.

The Penn & Slavery Project has quietly fought for greater recognition by the University. In addition, leaked documents about Amy Wax's pending sanctions and appeal cast new light on how the University approached the disciplinary proceedings.

Also, the DP will be in Washington today to report from a House roundtable on antisemitism on college campuses. Check back for coverage at thedp.com and on our social media.

But first, a DP investigation found that the Wharton Graduate Association has allegedly withheld a promised donation to the Boys and Girls Club of Philadelphia's Literacy Initiative — a program aimed to bridge education gaps in low-income Philadelphia neighborhoods.

SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Design by Sophia Liu
Students allege that $90k donation is 'missing' 

For nearly two decades, Penn Fight Night — which describes itself as the University's "largest philanthropic event" — has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Boys and Girls Club of Philadelphia. But Wharton's graduate student government has allegedly withheld at least $90,000 in promised donations — prompting student resignations in protest and an ongoing dispute over what happened to the money.

"We really need this money," one source described being told by the Club. "The kids really need this money."

A Daily Pennsylvanian investigation uncovered evidence of unfulfilled promises about the donation made by the Wharton Graduate Association to Fight Night leadership and the Club — leading to concern over the status of a donation that the Club deemed critical to support literacy initiatives for over 1,300 children in Philadelphia.

READ THE FULL DP INVESTIGATION
FIVE MORE BIG STORIES

Penn & Slavery Project affiliates described progress in their work while claiming University administration has been slow or hesitant to integrate their findings into New Student Orientation, create an official website, and take other steps to address Penn’s history with slavery.

Newly leaked documents about Penn's disciplinary proceedings against Amy Wax provide insight into the University's decision-making behind its recommended sanctions and an inside look into her pending appeal.

Pro-Palestinian activists are facing disciplinary action after participating in a Van Pelt Library study-in on Feb. 19.

Penn’s Julian Abele Fellowship in Architecture, which honors the Weitzman School of Design's first Black graduate, recently received a $20,600 gift

The Supreme Court announced that it will hear a case about whether 1968 Wharton graduate and former President Donald Trump is immune from prosecution for charges relating to his role in plotting to overturn the 2020 election.

MOST READ

Former Penn employee sues Gene Therapy Program director, alleging 'unethical and illegal conduct'

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Derek Wong

COLUMNIST MIA VESELY highlights Black clubs at Penn during this month and beyond.

SPORTS

Despite growing numbers of transfers and rumors of young talent leaving to pursue greener pastures, Ivy League basketball still believes they can hold on to their best

Penn women's swimming left Providence, R.I. with three broken program records en route to a fifth-place finish at the Ivy League Championships. 

Complete the Quaker Nation readership survey

Quaker Nation — The Daily Pennsylvanian’s weekly sports newsletter — is going through exciting changes. Rebranding with a new look and sharper features, Quaker Nation aims to become the most audience-driven and audience-focused sports newsletter on campus.

Help us improve Quaker Nation by filling out some questions 
here — the DP thanks you for your time.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi
In 2008, the DP reported on the University's plans to open Penn Park on 31st Street between Walnut and South streets. The design team emphasized the project's focus on gearing the park towards sustainable solutions. 

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today’s DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Derek Wong.

Looking for today's DP crossword? Pick up a print edition to play our full-size puzzle. It'll be published online tomorrow. 

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

An advocate for mental health, a TA who teaches wellness, and peer counselor for Penn Bens, the multi-faceted Priya Deliwala is tackling the mental health crisis one student at a time.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

Have you considered buying the new Apple Vision Pro goggles? What would you do with them if you bought them? Actually, we already know and we've heard your protests: CS Student Swears He Didn’t Buy Apple Vision Pro To Watch VR Porn.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Nicholas Maharaj.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.