Copy
Tuesday, February 13

Good morning, Penn.

Happy Tuesday! Ahead of Valentine's Day, love is in the air and a flood advisory is on the ground. I hope your hearts and floors stay warm and cozy this week.

Penn Engineering will join a new AI alliance in an effort to promote ethical practices on campus, and the Penn Lions will perform dances across the city in honor of Lunar New Year. 

But first, the University moved to dismiss a lawsuit filed in December by two Penn students alleging an insufficient response to antisemitism on campus.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY 

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi
BREAKING: Penn moves to dismiss student antisemitism lawsuit

In a 46-page brief submitted by University attorneys late Monday, Penn forcefully pushed back against a complaint by College senior Eyal Yakoby and College first year Jordan Davis alleging that the University violated Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act through its handling of antisemitism.

"The Complaint sweeps through decades of unconnected alleged incidents in search of a narrative," University and WilmerHale attorneys wrote in Penn's first response to the students' lawsuit since it was filed last December.

The DP breaks down the University's full motion to dismiss the students' claims here.

READ THE FULL STORY

FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

Penn Lions, one of the city's only Chinese lion dance troupes, will be performing on campus and across the city to celebrate Lunar New Year.
  Andy Kim was endorsed by six Pennsylvania representatives — and Senator John Fetterman — for the upcoming United States Senate Election in New Jersey. 
 Philadelphia City Councilmember Jamie Gauthier announced the "Defying Displacement" campaign, an initiative to improve access to affordable housing. 
  Penn Engineering announced its new membership in an international AI alliance in an effort to promote ethical and responsible practices on campus.

MOST READ

Editorial | Penn should reconsider the Second Year housing and dining requirements

OPINION

Photo from Wikimedia Commons | CC0 1.0 DEED
COLUMNIST KIYAH AKINS shares her experience navigating her identity as an African American woman. 

SPORTS

On Sunday, Penn football alumnus Justin Watson, who now plays as a wide receiver for the Kansas City Chiefs, won his third Super Bowl, placing him in a tie for the most wins by an Ivy League player.
  Penn women's basketball fell in a tight battle with No. 25 Princeton on Saturday, dropping the Quakers to 3-5 in the Ivy League.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo by Abhiram Juvvadi
In 2010, the DP reported that students had been celebrating their first back-to-back snow days since 1994 by building igloos and sledding. This year, the Penn community celebrated its first snow day in nearly 3 years — and it is forecast to snow again this morning.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Lavanya Jasra and Nina Wang. And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Lavanya Jasra.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

Street explores Conan's incredible journey from being besties with the queen of heartbreak anthems, Olivia Rodrigo, to carving his own path with a more mature sound. So, get ready to unleash your inner maniac, because Conan's latest album is about to drop, and the crush culture is well on its way.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

February can be the month of love. And love can bring miracles. In this love letter to love, explore the gratitude and joy of your recitation being led by the TA you've been hooking up with.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Mariam Kazmi.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.
Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.