Search Results


Below are your search results. You can also try a Basic Search.








Editorial | Penn’s general education requirements shouldn’t be so hard to fulfill

(01/30/20 4:10am)

When it comes time to choose courses for the upcoming semester, Penn undergraduates have to be cognizant of their respective schools’ graduation requirements. The College of Arts and Sciences, the Wharton School, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, and the School of Nursing each have their own set of requirements for their respective student bodies. But, when students search for possible classes to fill these requirements, they are often met with limited options in terms of both the content and availability of these courses. This lack of options may drive students to choose classes they are less passionate about, even if they are interested in the general topic of the requirement.


Editorial | Students in Greek life must support CAFSA’s mission of stopping sexual assault

(01/27/20 3:29am)

For the past few months, the Coalition Against Fraternity and Sexual Assault has argued against the presence of fraternity houses on Locust Walk. These efforts reached new heights last week when four members disclosed their identities at a public town hall. The CAFSA affiliates said they shed their anonymity to promote support and solidarity.



Editorial | Penn’s meal swipe system is failing its students

(01/23/20 3:25am)

Many Penn students on dining plans, particularly first-year and transfer students who are required to join a plan, find they have leftover meal swipes at the end of each semester. Students can end up losing a significant amount of money in end-of-semester swipe conversions – a period during which students may exchange a limited number of swipes for dining dollars at a rate well below their value – in an attempt to remedy their situation. This is why many students choose not to sign up for dining plans after their first year. 




Editorial | Greek life gives students a social outlet. Penn's clubs should learn from this

(01/15/20 2:25am)

Many first-year and sophomore women arrived early on campus this week to begin sorority recruitment, and their male counterparts will soon begin official fraternity rush. More than 25% of Penn’s undergraduate body is involved in Greek life, with many seeing it as a close-knit peer group. But what does this mean for the other 75%? 




Editorial | International and LPS students deserve need-blind admissions

(12/11/19 12:32am)

International undergraduate applicants and applicants to the College of Liberal and Professional Studies at Penn face a major disadvantage. Unlike other undergraduate applicants, their financial need affects their chances of admission to the University. Penn touts its "need-blind" application process, which means that degree of financial need does not affect admissions decisions. But this policy only extends to undergraduate applicants from the United States, Canada, and Mexico. All other international students “must apply for aid when they apply for admission," according to the Penn Admissions website.


Editorial | Penn security guards are not paid $15 per hour. It's time to raise their wages.

(12/09/19 4:25am)

Under a new Philadelphia law, security guards working at institutions like Penn had their wages raised to $15 per hour. Although Penn has had months to comply with the new rule, security guards are currently not receiving the pay they deserve. Penn must pay workers the living wage they deserve and that is now mandated by the city.





Editorial | Penn students must boycott McKinsey in light of its work with ICE

(12/05/19 7:49am)

On Tuesday, new reports surfaced that McKinsey & Company helped the Trump administration clamp down on illegal immigration. McKinsey specifically advocated for cuts in spending on food, medical care, and supervision for migrants, as well as helping ramp up deportations of undocumented immigrants. According to ProPublica and The New York Times' joint investigation, some of the spending cuts were so drastic that they even made some Immigration and Customs Enforcement staff uncomfortable.