The Daily Pennsylvanian, the 135-year-old award-winning independent student-run news organization serving the University of Pennsylvania community, is seeking an energetic individual to become our next General Manager, providing vision and leadership to drive our successful transition to a new media environment.
The Daily Pennsylvanian (known as “the DP”) is one of the finest and most decorated college news organizations in the country. The DP has been the voice of the student community, a watchdog of the university administration, a model of journalistic integrity and provides unparalleled real-work experience for the students who work around the clock publishing news and information. The DP is one of Penn’s largest student organizations, with a staff of nearly 400 student volunteers who publish three websites, a print newspaper and magazine, email newsletters, multiple social media sites, podcasts, videos and more. Our mission is to “inform and drive conversation while providing enduring student experiences in journalism and leadership.” The DP has produced alumni who are reporters and editors at many media organizations around the world, CEO’s and entrepreneurs, lawyers and doctors, and even several Nobel and Pulitzer prize winners — many of whom consider their work as students at the DP as a transformative experience in their lives.
The DP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation which is independent of the University of Pennsylvania. It is run by an engaged 10-member Board of Directors comprised of alumni and current student managers. The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors, and directly oversees the company’s other three full-time professionals. We seek an experienced, innovative media professional with the temperament to support and challenge students in both the editorial and business departments, a leader who will provide hands-on assistance to the student leaders of an organization navigating a rapidly changing media landscape. The successful candidate will be an excellent mentor and coach who possesses relevant experience in a digital-first newsroom or media outlet, significant experience with all major social media platforms, strong management skills, and a solid understanding of analytics and strategy.
Job Title: General Manager
Job Type: Full-time, M-F, year-round
Reports to: Board of Directors
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Experience: Minimum of 5+ years relevant experience in professional and/or student media
- Manage Operation and Fiscal Functions (40%): Operational and capital budgeting, business strategy, contracts & business relationships, oversight of infrastructure, etc.
- Oversee Sales and Development (fundraising) Departments (25%): Guide and work with professional directors responsible for generating the two core revenue streams, including organizational support of the DP’s alumni organization and donor relations.
- Provide Student Editorial Coaching & Management Advising (15%): Give feedback on published content quality and help student leadership with operational management, training, and personnel issues.
- Build an Innovation Muscle (10%): Create sustainable processes that makes the DP one of the nation’s most innovative college media organizations.
- Perform Other Duties as Necessary (10%): Tackle a wide variety of tasks involved in sustaining a non-profit company with a small full-time and large student volunteer staff.
- Five years professional media experience.
- Proven management expertise.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills.
- Strong technical skills.
- Experience working in a non-profit and/or student environment a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Excellent benefits, including medical, retirement and paid time off.
Note: The Daily Pennsylvanian is independent of the University of Pennsylvania; this is not a Penn position. The Daily Pennsylvanian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply:
Send your resume with a cover letter that addresses working with students in a self-sufficient media organization to DP General Manager Eric Jacobs at GeneralManager@theDP.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a final deadline of January 21, 2020.