9:15 a.m. · April 26 - Vivian Yao

Here’s what we’re watching for today:

9:24 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Signing off for day two

And with that, day two of the 128th Penn Relays also comes to an end! Thanks for tuning in with us, we’ll be back in the morning with more live updates from day three of the nation’s biggest track and field event! It’s going to be a good one — plenty of Olympians will be taking the track tomorrow.

9:23 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Eddie Mulder of CPTC Tracksmith wins Men’s 5000-meter Open/Club race

In the last event of the night, as “Kung-Fu Fighting” blasted on the speakers, the men’s 5000-meter race commenced the second day of the Penn Relays. The club runners — better known as the “for-fun” runners — decided to stay together for most of the chilly late night race. With no one pulling ahead for the first six minutes, it was truly anyone’s race.

Josh Izewski decided to put the pressure on by acting as a front runner, but his break away proved to be too early as the field caught up with plenty of race left. The new leader, Christian Schaaf, had everyone right on his tail. Eddie Mulder soon pulled away in a contest heat, representing CPTC Tracksmith well with a time of 14:10.85, only a minute off of the event’s all-time record.

9:10 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Grace Moore of Leonia Track Club wins Women’s 5000-meter Open/Club race

In a field that showcased 14 women representing various running groups and clubs, the athletes showed that age is only a number — getting older doesn’t mean you have to get slower. Through 1000 meters, ZAP Endurance’s Tristin Van Ord was indeed giving the field a jolt, leading the pack with a time 3:09.08. At the halfway mark of the race, a clear-cut leading group had formed, made up of Van Ord, Leonia Track Club’s Grace Moore, and Empire Elite TC’s Sophie Cantine.

Into the final stretches of the race, Moore and Van Ord pulled away from Cantine with Moore setting the pace of the two. With just a mile to go, Moore extended her lead, continuing to average 77 seconds per lap. Moore was able to maintain the lead to the end, crossing the finish line with a time of 15:51.37 to take first place.

Next up is the last event of the night: the Men’s 5000-meter Open/Club race.

7:05 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

TCU wins College Men's Sprint Medley Championship of America title

Right after Clemson won the women’s Sprint Medley, it trotted out its men’s Medley sprint team as the event’s favorites, especially since the Tigers won the event last year. Penn trotted out its own squad consisting of sophomore Devante Heywood, senior Dimitri Nicholson, freshman Alexander Sadikov, and sophomore Alec Jackson. Being slotted to finish seventh in the heat before the race started, Penn finished in sixth with a time of 3:31.10. Penn State led for much of the race, but TCU passed the Nittany Lions on the bend in the last 200 meters to claim first with a time of 3:18.71 — the program’s first title in the event at the Penn Relays.

Photo by Jackson Ford.

6:45 p.m. · April 26 - Caleb Crain, Allyson Nelson, Phoebe Weintraub, Vivian Yao

Clemson wins College Women’s Sprint Medley Championship of America

St. John’s took the lead halfway through heat one, which consisted of the Red Storm and Troy, Delaware, Quinnipiac, and Loyola. Nora Haugen, the Red Storm’s anchor, pulled away on the last lap to win the heat in 3:49.46. Heat two was much closer than heat one, with Ohio State and Arizona State battling back and forth while South Florida and Rutgers trailed behind. The race remained tight until the Buckeyes pulled ahead on the last turn, winning heat two in 3:45.73.

Heat three — which featured Penn alongside Texas A&M, Clemson, Penn State, and Georgetown — saw sophomores Christiana Nwachuku and Fore Abinusawa give the Quakers a relatively strong start. Despite trailing early, senior Bella Whittaker gave Penn the lead after her strong 400 meters. Junior Bronwyn Patterson, the Quakers’ anchor, pulled ahead on the last lap, but was passed on the final straightaway by Gladys Chepngetich of Clemson to secure a 3:41.41 win for the Tigers. The Quakers finished the heat in third with 3:42.32, 0.03 seconds behind Texas A&M.

"Being the home team having all our fans l cheering for us as we're stepping on the line to run — it's just such a big boost," said Abinusawa. "It's like the motivation we need to not just compete but compete extra hard for them to be there for each other."

Up next is the College Men's Sprint Medley Championship of America.

Reigning champions Clemson headline a fierce group of competitors, including Texas A&M, TCU, Penn State, and Arizona State rounding out the top five. The event record of 3:12.88 by Abilene Christian in 1995 hasn’t been close to being broken, with the most recent time to threaten its position coming from Penn State way back in 2018 at 3:15.25.

Photo by Tjaden Litwiler.

6:30 p.m. · April 26 - Vivian Yao

Penn junior Tumi Onaleye wins College Women’s​​ Triple Jump

On the field, Penn junior Tumi Onaleye claimed first place in the College Women's Triple Jump College event with a distance of 12.73 meters on her third attempt. Teammate and freshman Adannia Agbo finished in sixth with a distance of 12.19 meters.

6:26 p.m. · April 26 - Caleb Crain, Allyson Nelson

Union Catholic sets new national record in the High School Girls' 4x800-meter Championship of America

After plenty of lead changes in the first leg, Union Catholic pulled in front, followed by a group of schools in close succession around three seconds off the top pace. Union Catholic increased its lead during the second leg, with Edwin Allen and IMG Academy in second and third place, respectively, at the halfway point. With just 800 meters to go, Union Catholic’s lead was eight seconds ahead of Edwin Allen and the rest of the schools. With a strong anchor leg, Union Catholic defended its win from last year, finishing in 8:41.20 and breaking the high school national record in the event, set by Roosevelt in 2008.

Up next is the College Women’s Sprint Medley Championship of America. The field is led by Texas’s A&M’s Medley team, who set the national record in 2022, and also features an underdog Penn squad consisting of sophomore Christiana Nwachuku, sophomore Fore Abinusawa, senior Isabella Whittaker, and junior Bronwyn Patterson. At the Ivy Indoor Heptagonal Championships, Abinusawa and Whittaker shared Most Outstanding Track Performer honors.

Photo by Grace Chen.

6:15 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown

Addison Ritzenhein of Niwot, Colorado wins High School Girls' 3000-meter Championship

The race started with everyone within three seconds of each other, but Addison Ritzenhein of Niwot (CO) pulled ahead with an early lead. At the 1500 meter mark, Ritzenhein developed a 10 second lead over the pack. With 2000 meters done Ritzenehin had a 100 meter lead, and was chasing history. On pace to be three seconds away from the meet’s 30 year old record, Ritzenhein needed to put on the back burners for a chance to secure a record. On her final lap, she would finish around two seconds behind the all-time record in a remarkable performance.

Up next is the High School Girls' 4x800-meter Championship of America. The twelve teams consist of Union Catholic (NJ), Rumson-Fair Haven (NJ), Edwin Allen (JAM), Alphansus Davis (JAM), Padua Academy (DE), South Lakes (VA), IMG Academy (FL), Upper Dublin (PA), Lower Moreland (PA), Mount Tabor (NC), Guilderland (NY), and Holmwood Tech (JAM). In the past two seasons, Union Catholic and Edwin Allen have pulled out wins in this event, with Union Catholic holding the tenth fastest finish in said event all time with their winning time last year.

6:07 p.m. · April 26 - Caleb Crain, Sean McKeown, Allyson Nelson

Ty Steorts of Hurricane, West Virginia wins High School Boys’ 3000-meter Championship

The pack stayed closed together through the first 1200 meters of the race, with no one runner leading the way for long. Peyton Shute of Woodbury was in front halfway through, but the rest of the field was very close behind. Ty Steorts of Hurricane, a Tennessee commit, was the first runner to break away from the rest of the pack with about 1000m left. Steorts ultimately secured a dominating 8:24.77 win, over six seconds ahead of Arlington's Ethan Green. Penn commit Shane Murphy — who currently attends Hunter — finished the race in fifth place at 8:33.42.

Up next is the High School Girls’ 3000-meter Championship. Hosting a field of 24 competitors, the top five consist of Addison Ritzenhein of Niwot, Zariel Macchia of William Floyd, Maddie Gardiner of Covenant, Logan St. John Kletter of Mount Lebanon, and Caroline Barton of Carolina Day.

5:49 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Sean McKeown

Dylan McElhinney of Hunter wins High School Girls’ Mile Run Championship

Dylan McElhinney of Hunter in New York fought to keep a steady lead throughout the first half of the race, with Reese Dalton of Covenant in Virginia catching up after lap two to run stride for stride with McElhinney for nearly a full lap. The two runners traded off the lead for the remainder of the extremely close race and matched each other nearly step for step down the last straightaway, before McElhinney ultimately pulled ahead to secure a blistering 4.40.82 victory.

Up next is the High School Boys’ 3000-meter Championship. Hosting a field of 24 competitors, the top five consist of Ty Steorts of Hurricane, Quinn Parrish of James River, Ethan Green of Arlington, Henry Koike-Sieira of Hunter, and Garrett Stickley of John Handley.

Photo by Grace Chen.

5:42 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Caleb Crain, Allyson Nelson

Drew Griffith of Butler wins High School Boys’ Mile Run Championship

Drew Griffith of Pennsylvania’s Butler led the pack after one lap, and only extended his lead by the halfway point of the race. The national cross country champion and Notre Dame commit had a comfortable lead during the final lap, and ultimately won the race at 4:03.35, finishing seven seconds ahead of Ryan Pajak of Ringgold and Colin Eckerman of Webb School. Griffith was two seconds shy of breaking the Penn Relays record of 4:01.04, set by Archbishop Wood’s Gary Martin in 2022.

Up next is the High School Girls’ Mile Run Championship. The event will feature another 18-athlete line up, starting with Dylan McElhinney of Hunter, Katherine Bohlke of Newington, Reese Dalton of Covenant, Emma Zawatski of Freehold Township, and Isabelle Walsh of Middletown. The record for the event was set in 2013 by Mary Cain who ran a 4:28.25.

5:40 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Caleb Crain, Allyson Nelson

Saratoga Springs wins third straight High School Girls’ Distance Medley Championship of America

After the first 1200-meter leg of the relay, Delaware’s Tatnall was in first position, but in the next 400 meters, Saratoga Springs and West Springfield had narrowed the gap to the lead, while other schools had serious distance to make up. Heading into the final leg, Saratoga Springs had come into second place, with around four seconds to make up on the final mile-long leg. But Emily Bush made it up and more, winning Saratoga Springs its third consecutive race in this event with a final time of 11:36.45.

Up next is the High School Boys’ Mile Run Championship. The event fields 18 athletes, led by Drew Griffith of Butler, Colin Eckerman of the Webb School, Will Brunner of Battle Mountain, Ryan Pajak of Ringgold, and Trent Daniels of Gainesville. The record for the event was set in 2001 by Alan Webb of South Lakes who ran a 3:53.43.

5:25 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Christian Brothers wins High School Boys’ Distance Medley Championship of America

The medley started with pretty even competition as each school stayed within 30 meters of each other. As the competition went on, Christian Brothers and Westfield pulled far ahead. During the last lap, Christian Brothers proved to be too much to overcome, as they secured the first place finish with a 10:01.47 time.

Up next is the High School Girls’ Distance Medley Championship of America. The event features another 15-team line up: Saratoga Springs, West Springfield, Mainland Regional, St. John’s College, Bayport-Blue Point, Shenendehowa, Tatnall, North Buncombe, Riverdale Country, Pope John XXIII, River Hill, Manalapan, Notre Dame Manhattan, Pingry, and Carlisle. Saratoga Springs has claimed the championship title for three out of the past five years, including the past two in a row, setting an impressive precedent going into this year’s event.

Photo by Weining Ding.

5:10 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Hydel wins High School Girls’ 4x400 Championship of America, Bullis sets US national record

Another heat featuring a plethora of Jamaican teams sees the common names of Hydel and Edwin Allen in front for the first 100 meters, with the second leg for Hydel being run by a Jamaican high school national champion Abigail Campbell. The third lap saw Hydel and Bullis neck and neck. The Jamaican 100-meter high school national champion, Alliah Baker, anchored the win for Hydel — this is Hydel’s fifth win in six years. Despite finishing in second, the Bullis school recorded a U.S. national record in the event with a 3:35.17 finish.

Up next is the High School Boys’ Distance Medley Championship of America. The event was championed last year by Christ School from North Carolina. This year’s field features 15 teams, with Ridgefield, Westfield, Christian Brothers, Ridge, Calvert Hall College, Souderton, Ridley, Ridgewood, Brooklyn Tech, Monroe-Woodbury, Penncrest, State College, St. Peter’s, Salesianum, and Lower Merion lining up to vie for the championship plaque.

Photo by Weining Ding.

5:00 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Sean McKeown, Phoebe Weintraub, Vivian Yao

Penn men’s 4x400-meter relay team sets program record

Despite finishing in third in the heat in the College Men's 4x400 Championship of America, the Penn men’s 4x400-meter relay team crossed the finish line in a time of 3:06.23, setting a new program record in the event. The relay team consisted of freshman Nicolas West, freshman Nayyir Newash-Campbell, sophomore Andrew O'Donnell, and freshman Ryan Matulonis.

“[We] made sure that we ran our hearts out,” Campbell said. “because you know, we have something to prove.”

The time was good enough to qualify the team for the Championship of America finals tomorrow.

Photo by Derek Wong.

4:46 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Penn sees women’s 4x400-meter relay team qualify for Championship of America finals tomorrow

Texas A&M comfortably secured its spot in the Championship of America finals after winning the first heat with a time of 3:29.88. In the second heat, Houston cruised to a school record-setting win with a time of 3:27.83 to secure its own spot in the finals. The time is the third fastest NCAA time in the event this year.

The third heat really got the crowd going as the home Quakers took to the track, fielding a relay team consisting of sophomore Christiana Nwachuku, junior Jocelyn Niemiec, sophomore Fore Abinusawa, and senior Aliya Garozzo. The Red and Blue trailed early, handing off in fourth. Niemiec pulled into second as the Quakers fought to gain ground on the Blue Devils. Garozzo brought Penn over the finish line to a second place finish with a time of 3:34.62, qualifying the team for the Championship of America finals in the event tomorrow.

Photo by Derek Wong.

3:35 p.m. · April 26 - Neema Baddam, Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

South Florida wins College Men’s 4x200-meter Championship of America

Out of the 30 teams competing, Houston enters the competition with the fastest time in the nation in the Men’s 4x200-meter relay this year after running a 1:21.55 at the 96th Texas Clyde Littlefield Relays on March 30. The group is expected to give Jamaica’s G.C. Foster College a run for its money, as G.C. Foster College is the favorite to win.

In the first heat, Voorhees finished in first with a time of 1:26.34. The second heat saw Morgan State take first, with Morgan State hanging on to its lead to beat Wagner to the finish line with a time of 1:26.67. In the third heat, Hampton was able to explode going into the final leg to win the heat with a time of 1:25.36.

In the final heat of the event, South Florida exploded to an early lead before Houston made up ground on the second leg. Heading into the anchor leg, Houston made a last effort push to catch South Florida, but South Florida was able to hold off the Cougars to cross the ribbon first, with a time of 1:22.08.

The next championship event will be the High School Girls’ 4x400m Championship of America race. The nine teams competing are Wolmer’s Girls, St. John’s College, Vere Technical, Timber Creek, Union Catholic, Edwin Allen, Hydel High School, Bullis School, and St. Elizabeth Tech. The field is led by Jamaica’s Hydel High School, who championed the race in the last two years of Penn Relays.

3:13 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

South Florida wins College Women’s 4x200-meter Championship of America title

The 28 teams competing in the College Women’s 4x200 Championship of America were South Florida, Ohio State, Arizona State, Duke, Maryland, Pitt, Penn State, Clemson, Tennessee State, Delaware State, St. John’s, Chicago State, Southern Illinois, Wilmington, Delaware, UMBC, Monmouth, Hampton, Coppin State, St Joseph’s, Stony Brook, Norfolk State, Fordham, Ithaca, TCNJ, Temple, Lincoln, and UDC.

South Florida enters the race as the clear favorite and reigning champ, winning last year’s event. In the first heat, Stony Brook impressed with a 1:39.53 finish with, Fordham and Norfolk close behind. The second heat showcased a closer battle with Coppin State winning with a 1:38.03, beating Hampton by only .44 seconds. In the third heat, Southern Illinois won with a time of 1:37.84.

The Relays saved the best for last with the top-seeded teams taking the track in the fourth and final heat. After going neck-and-neck with Duke for much of the race, South Florida turned on the jets in the last 50-meters to dust the competition, winning the championship with a time of 1:33.19.

2:54 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Villanova wins program’s 26th College Men’s Distance Medley Championship of America title

The 10 teams competing in the College Men’s Distance Medley Championship of America were Georgetown, Virginia, Villanova, Oregon, Michigan, Duke, Texas A&M, and Navy. Georgetown entered the competition as the favorite to win after finishing in second last year in the event. Villanova has won the event a record 25 times.

Heading into the first baton exchange, Villanova and Virginia were neck and neck with Oregon following closely behind. A strong 400-meter leg from Texas A&M put the Aggies in a great position to pass Virginia for first position right after the baton exchange. Heading into the last leg, Texas A&M led with Georgetown and Virginia right on its heels. Going into the final 400-meters, Villanova and Georgetown led the pack with Virginia, Oregon, and Texas A&M rounding out the lead pack. In the final 100 meters, Villanova turned on the jets to finish with a time of 9:35.90 to win the program’s 26th championship in the event. Georgetown finished in second with a time of 9:36.37.

Photo by Jackson Ford.

2:39 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Harvard sets a new national record of 10:37.55 in College Women’s Distance Medley Championship of America

The 14 teams competing in the College Women’s Distance Medley Championship of America are Providence, Virginia, Harvard, Washington, Duke, Clemson, Villanova, Colombia, Georgetown, TCU, and Richmond. Providence enters the race as the favorites in the event, with the recent years champions of Stanford and BYU not competing.

After the first leg, Providence led with Virginia right on its tail. The second leg ended with Virginia edging out Providence by inches as the teams transitioned to the 800 meter portion. Harvard soon caught up to the two leaders, with Virginia losing its grip on the second place position.

Entering the last leg, Providence had a lead over Harvard and Virginia. As Kimberley May anchored for Providence, Harvard’s Maia Ramsden let May hold the lead position until the last 600 meters where Ramsden pushed ahead. The NCAA Division I champion led Harvard to a finishing time of 10:37.55, setting a new national and Penn Relays record for a Women’s Distance Medley.

Photo by Tjaden Litwiler.

2:26 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Hydel repeats as High School Girls' 4x100-meter Championship of America champions

The nine schools competing in the High School Girls’ 4x100-meter Championship of America are Union Catholic, IMG Academy, Wolmer’s Girls, Edwin Allen, St. Jago, Hydel, Archbishop John Carroll, Holmwood Tech, and St. Mary. Edwin Allen enters the race after posting the top time in the qualifying heats while Hydel enters the race as the defending champions.

The race got the biggest cheer from the crowd all day as six of the nine competing teams all hail from Jamaica. Hydel successfully defended its title to repeat as the 4x100-meter Championship of America champions with a time of 44.71 seconds. Edwin Allen and St. Jago rounded out the top three with finishes of 44.96 and 45.14 seconds respectively.

Photo by Jackson Ford.

2:09 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

College Men’s 4x100-meter Championship of America heats see several teams run sub-40 times

In the College Men's 4x100-meter relay Championship of America heats, Houston became the first team at this year’s competition to run a sub-40 second time in the event, crossing the finish line with a time of 39.98 seconds to secure its spot in the finals tomorrow. The time places the Cougars just outside of tenth in the nation this year.

Not to be shown up, South Florida ran a 39.41 in the following heat to also secure a spot in the finals, which is shaping up to be a competition of blazing speed. South Florida entered the competition already holding the seventh fastest time in the nation. Arizona State also secures its spot by winning the third heat with a time of 39.56 seconds. In total, four teams ran the qualifying heats with sub-40 times with the other school being G.C. Foster with a time of 39.83 seconds.

1:56 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

In the Men’s College-Level Discus throw, Troy University beat Yale by .01 meters to secure a first place finish

In as close of a finish as possible, Troy’s Anthony Symile edged out Yale’s Nathan Lebowitz in the discus throw by as small of a distance as measurable: .01 meters. Past Yale, other competitors found themselves over a meter away. Penn finished in 17th, with freshman Kai Deines putting in a performance that was over six meters away from leading the competition.

Currently on the track is the College Men’s 4x100 Championship of America led by Houston who won the event at the 2022 Penn Relays. The event also features a strong Quaker squad looking to sneak their way into the top nine. Fielding a young squad of sophomore Shane Gardner, freshman Nayyir Newash-Campbell, sophomore Andrew O’Donnell, and junior Aaron Stillitano, Penn has their work cut out for them if they hope to find themselves in the Championship heat.

1:44 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown

In College Jump, Penn sees Conrad Moore sneak onto the podium with a third place finish

College Men’s High Jump saw one of the most intense finishes of the competition, with five competitors entering into the penultimate round. Moore failed to move on, but finished with the least amount of needed-attempts in the previous round which earned him a third place finish. This set Timothy Watson of Penn State to face off against Matthew Santy of Rhode Island in the final, but both athletes failed to clear the 2.14 meter mark. This made Watson the winner of the event, since he needed less attempts in the 2.11 meter portion of the competition.

Photo by Weining Ding.

12:55 p.m. · April 26 - Vivian Yao

At the College level, Buffalo places first in the Men’s Distance Medley Relay

At the first baton exchange in the Men’s Distance Medley College, Maryland had a sizable lead after passing Albany in the last 200 meters. Maryland’s second leg maintained that lead off the 400-meter section of the race. After leading through the first three legs of the race, Maryland slid to second in the final 400 meters of the last leg, with Buffalo taking first with a time of 9:43.14. Penn finished in eighth.

Up next will be the High School Girls’ 4x100 Championship of America, followed by the College Women’s Distance Medley Championship of America and the College Men’s Distance Medley Championship of America.

Photo by Jackson Ford.

12:41 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Phoebe Weintraub, Vivian Yao

At the College level, Navy places first in the Women’s Distance Medley College

The high school boys’ 4x100-meter relay heats have finally come to a close and the nine teams set to advance to tomorrow’s championship event are Excelsior (40.62), Herbert Morrison (41.26), Kingston College (41.30), St. Jago (41.35), St. George’s (41.42), Archbishop Catholic (41.49), Calabar (41.70), Jamaica College (41.73), and West Springfield (41.77).

The Penn College Women's Distance Medley relay team led early in the first leg of the race before sliding to third at the baton exchange as Penn was passed by Navy and Lehigh. In the 400-meter leg, Penn turned on the jets to pass both Navy and Lehigh, entering the baton exchange in first place. In the third leg, Penn led down the back straightaway but was caught by Michigan State and Navy around the bend. In the final 1600m leg, Navy pulled away in the last 400 meters to finish first with a time of 11:28.03. Penn finished in fourth.

Next up is the College Men’s Distance Medley College, led by cross-state rivals Penn State. The event will feature a Penn squad ranked not too far behind, consisting of sophomore Nicolas Pizarro, junior Holden Emery, junior Kyle Miller, and freshman George Keen. Pizarro, Emery, and Miller recently accomplished eighth, fifth, and tenth respectively in the 800m at the Paul Donahue Invitational at Widener University and hope to bring that recent success into today’s race.

Photo by Jackson Ford.

12:14 p.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Phoebe Weintraub, Vivian Yao

New high school boys’ pole-vaulting record and the Jamaican 4x100-meter relay teams are dominating and the crowd absolutely loves it

These last few heats have gotten the crowd absolutely going wild. It’s common knowledge that the Caribbean nations have historically dominated in the 4x100-meter relay, and the crowd knows it. It doesn’t matter what school is racing — if the relay team is from Jamaica, the people are on their feet, waving flags, blowing air horns, and cheering the runners on.

For good reason too — high school teams who have made the pilgrimage up from Jamaica currently hold the top five fastest times and eight of the top-10 times in the event thus far. Currently, the only team to have gone sub-41 seconds has been Jamaica’s Excelsior, who crossed the finish line with a time of 40.62 seconds.

In other news, St. Christopher’s Victor Olesen claimed first place in the High School Boys’ Pole Vault Championship with a height of 5.19 meters, setting a new Penn Relays record. The previous record was set last year by Wyatt Stewart of Madison Central, at a height of 5.08m.

Up next, Penn will see its first athletes taking on the track today in the College Women’s Distance Medley College relay. Entering the event, Navy is currently the favorite to win. The event also features a strong all-senior Red and Blue team featuring Zoe Shetty, Elizabeth Orr, Phoebe White, and Fabianna Szorenyi.

On the field, Penn junior Conrad Moore is kicking things off for the Red and Blue, as he is currently competing in the College Men’s High Jump College event. Freshman Kai Deines is also making his Penn Relays debut in the discus throw, and freshman Paris Ivery makes her debut in the long jump.

Photo by Weining Ding.

11:39 a.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Phoebe Weintraub, Vivian Yao

High school boys’ 4x100-meter relay heats are heating up

As time passes, the high school boys’ 4x100-meter relays are getting faster with each passing heat. Bishop McNamara of Maryland just became the first team to go sub-42 seconds, crossing the finish line with a blazing time of 41.89 seconds.

With some of the favorites to qualify for the finals — Jamaica College, Calabar, Excelsior, St. Jago to name a few — still waiting in the wings to run their heats, the early excitement bodes well for what will be a lightning-paced ending for the event. The stands are currently packed at the finish line, with plenty of Jamaican flags present to cheer their teams on to the finish line.

11:15 a.m. · April 26 - Sean McKeown, Vivian Yao

Jamaica College dominates in the high school boys’ field championships

In the long jump, Jamaica College’s Balvin Israel took home the championship watch with a distance of 7.24 meters on his third attempt that put him well in front of the rest of the field. Right next to him, Chavez Penn — a Jamaican champion in the triple jump — cruised to a comfortable win after recording a distance of 15.38m on his first attempt. In the shot put championship, schoolmate Shaiquan Dunn beat out the field by nearly one meter with a throw of 20.73m to secure first. Dorian Charles currently sits in second in the javelin throw to round out the school’s absolute dominance in the field events.

10:44 a.m. · April 26 - Vivian Yao

High school field championship events well underway

The field for tomorrow’s High School Boys’ 4x800-meter Championship of America race was finalized earlier today, with the 12 fastest teams across the four heats qualifying. Those teams are: Jamaica College, Newburgh Free, Christian Brothers, Cherokee, Central Bucks West, Toms River North, Council Rock North, Kingston College, West Orange, Woodbridge, St. John’s College, and Lake Braddock.

Earlier today, Munro College’s Chad Hendricks became the first person at the high school boys level to earn a championship watch, taking first in the High School Boys’ Discus Throw Championship with a throw of 66.17m. In the high jump, the group has narrowed to just four competitors while 10 still remain alive in the pole vault. Jamaican College’s Chavez Penn leads the triple jump through five attempts and his teammate Balvin Israel leads the long jump through four attempts.

10:19 a.m. · April 26 - Vivian Yao

Welcome back!

To kick off the second day of the Penn Relays, we started off with plenty of local talent with the Philadelphia middle schoolers getting a chance to shine. Now, we’re really getting into the full swing of things as the nearly 600 high school boys’ 4x100-meter relay teams are just getting underway.

Photo by Tyler Ringhofer.