Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Freshman Has Really Insightful 12th Point to Make but TA Has Begun Searching for 'Someone Who Hasn't Spoken'

raisingherhandinordertoposeaquestionthisafricanamericanwomanwasoneofanumberofattendees

Photo by Cade Martin, Dawn Arlotta / CC0

Victoria Jacobs (C ‘21) considered herself a star participator. In high school, she was well-loved by her teachers and coaches for always having the courage to speak, even (and especially) when no one asked. It was rare to walk into a classroom without Jacobs’ hands reaching for the ceiling, waiting to be called on so she could spurt out the solution to a calculus problem or name that famous Civil War general.

Naturally, she was the primary contributor in her linguistics recitation. No practice problem could stump her, no concept ever confused her, and she even found herself correcting the TA for his grammar and syntax errors.

“I think that was supposed to be true,” Jacobs blurted out at her classmate who just incorrectly answered a question. “You probably misread the question. I do that sometimes, too.” Her classmates’ glaring eyes and audible sighs proved no deterrence for Volunteer Vicky, and she continued her rampage of classroom domination.

“Let’s talk about lexicology. Can anyone tell me what lexicology is?” asked her TA. Jacobs’ hand shot up immediately. She had just read a Buzzfeed article about lexicology in Himalayan spirit chants! Of course she needed to share it with the class—it would provide such a valuable basis for discussion.

“Let’s hear from someone who hasn’t spoken,” the TA quickly added. Jacobs was shattered. Every time she had a profound point to add, her teachers would silence and censor her and prevent her from speaking. She slumped back, defeated in her chair. She’d just have to wait until tomorrow.

PennConnects