Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Alumni Deaths: Latest on Matthew White's Porn-Fueled Murder

white

If you haven't heard already, 1979 Penn alum Matthew White was tragically stabbed to death by his wife on Monday. The 6'11'' White played on the Quakers' Final Four men's basketball team, because that was a thing that occurred.

Our friends at the DP have reported new details on the shocking act of violence, including that White was asleep when he was fatally stabbed in the neck by Maria Rey Garcia-Pellon, and that the homicide was not quick and painless. The horrific story has already been picked up by outlets like The Daily Mail and The Huffington Post.

The kicker: his murderous spouse's explanation is that White was looking at child pornography (unverified) and claimed she "had to do it" because she loves kids. We don't think that one's going to hold up in court.

In other news, one of the featured obituaries in this past Sunday's New York Times was that of Penn alum James DePriest, a legendary orchestral conductor. DePriest, who died on Friday at 76 (of natural causes), was a Wharton undergrad and earned his Master's from Annenberg. He was also "one of the few black conductors to achieve international renown" and was confined to a wheelchair since 1962, as a result of polio-induced paralysis. It's no wonder the Times dubbed him "pioneering."

We salute them both.

PennConnects