Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

The Inside Scoop On Capogiro

a563408e8cad7236eaee90e0ebff12ce

While private opening parties are typically reserved for the trendy and influential (read: friends of the owner), Capogiro's West Philly extension put Summer Street editor (and bona fide Italophile) Annette D'Onofrio on the list for its opening soiree (thanks, press pass!).

From the second we name-dropped our way into the party, the champagne was a-flowin' and the staffers were a-scoopin'. The gelateria bar offered, firstly and foremostly, a number of gelati in standard (hazelnut, chocolate) and unique (champagne mango, pineapple mint) flavors. Each flavor is conveniently labeled, too: local, seasonal, contains nuts, a "last chance" flavor. Any indecisive (or cheap) patron can sample all kinds, thanks to those tiny shovel-like sample spoons. After doing so, we came to a general consensus: amazing on all counts.

While pretty pricey (the "piccola," or 2-scoop small size, was $4 and change), the product itself does not disappoint. The gelato is surprisingly light, despite its richness in flavor. Also present were samples of their blended gelato treats, like the mango frappe, a summery and delicious take on the milkshake.

The staff also continually filled flutes with a signature drink, the scorpion, a concoction that mixes gelato with prosecco. While the white foamy appearance was weirdly latte-esque, the drink has all the appeal of a high-class, Italian, alcoholic root beer float. Capogiro also houses a full bar, coffee and sandwich menu, including panini and tramezzini (cold sandwiches), both of which were, true to form, pretty expensive ($7-$8 per sandwich).

NB: The menu itself is randomly bilingual (sandwiches with "tacchino," not "turkey," but "artichokes," not "carcioffi"), so you might want to bring your friend in ITAL140.

All in all, we recommend hitting up Capogiro for what it does best: gelato. The delicious ice cream alternative and the trendy decor and ambience (deep blue walls, brightly colored booths, strange metal light fixtures) make it the newest groovy place to eat and loiter. Now all they need is wireless. Chin chin!

PennConnects