Copy
Monday, February 19

Good morning, Penn!

Welcome back to Quaker Nation! Penn basketball had a jam-packed weekend, and the spring sports season is just beginning to bloom. But first, Penn women's lacrosse kicked off its new campaign with a win over a next-door neighbor.

This week's top story:

Penn women's lacrosse opens up season with an 11-8 win against Drexel

Photo by Samantha Turner
Penn women's lacrosse attacker Julia Chai makes a move with the ball.

More from DP Sports:

1. After opening the season ranked No. 19 in the nation, Penn men's lacrosse fell to Georgetown in its season-opener.
  2. Penn men's basketball dropped home games against Yale and Brown over the weekend, stretching its losing streak to eight.
  3. As it fights for a spot in Ivy Madness, Penn women's basketball split its matchups with the Bulldogs and Bears.
  4. Junior foilist Katina Proestakis Ortiz of Penn women's fencing is a natural competitor, which has manifested in a prosperous national career.
Player of the week:
Starting off the season with a bang, senior attacker and captain Niki Miles helped the women's lacrosse team pull off an impressive win over Drexel. Miles put in three goals throughout the match to help seal away an impressive 11-8 victory. Read our profile on Miles here.
Photo by Anna Vazhaeparambil

One great read:

As March Madness approaches, discerning the best teams in college basketball is more difficult than ever. To give you a leg up in your bracket pool, ESPN's Jay Bilas breaks down the 68 best men's teams in the sport.

Best of sports photo:

Photo by Tuna Sagdan
Junior guard/forward Ed Holland III attempts a layup against Yale on Feb. 16.
Photo by Sonali Chandy
Senior guard Clark Slajchert inbounds the ball against Yale on Feb. 16.
Photo by Weining Ding
Junior attacker Ben Smith goes head to head with Georgetown's Jack Leary.
Support student journalism
We are an independent, student-run newsroom. Please consider making a donation to support the coverage that shapes Penn.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Asha Chawla.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Thank you for joining us in this week's news in Penn sports. Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing Sports Editors Walker Carnathan (carnathan@thedp.com) and Vivian Yao (yao@thedp.com).

Quaker Nation arrives to your inbox Monday mornings by The Daily Pennsylvanian. You can update your subscription preferences or unsubscribe at any time.
Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.