Copy
Tuesday, February 6

Good morning, Penn.

It is my belief that the best things in life always come second: the second chopstick completes the set, the second sock completes the pair — and the second DP Daybreak anchor keeps our readers well-informed about the most essential Penn news.

Today, the DP followed up with members of the University community to understand what happened after many campus residents lost power for hours on Sunday. Also, a Penn donor and alum alleged in a lawsuit that the University misused his donation.

But first, the remains of 19 Black Philadelphians were entombed at the Penn Museum on Saturday, sparking criticism and controversy by activist groups.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Ethan Young
Remains of 19 unidentified Black Philadelphians buried at Penn Museum 
Over 70 community members attended a public service at the Penn Museum to entomb 19 unidentified Black Philadelphians. This burial was protested by several grassroots organizers and community organizations, who said that Black communities should have discretion over the burial of the bodies. 
READ THE FULL STORY

FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

The DP followed up on the widespread Sunday power outage that left students in the Quad and Harnwell without light and heating for hours, while PECO confirmed that it was never alerted about the outage.
  An alum gave Penn a donation intended for finance scholarships for financially underprivileged Wharton students with specific concentrations. Instead, a lawsuit alleges the money was given to student-athletes.
  Taunita Stephenson was announced as Wellness at Penn and Penn Athletics and Recreation's head of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
  Pennsylvania state representatives announced legislation aimed at making abortion facilities more widely accessible for those seeking abortion care. 

MOST READ

Jameson criticizes 'reprehensible' political cartoons amid antisemitism claims against Penn lecturer

OPINION

Photo by Nathaniel Babitts
COLUMNIST AKIVA BERKOWITZ  argues for a better system to point students to the many fun experiences on campus.

SPORTS

It was a tough weekend for Penn men's basketball, which suffered back-to-back losses to Brown and Yale and sliding to last place in the Ivy League.
  It was also a tough weekend for the Penn track and field record book, with three program records falling.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Design by Lilian Liu
In 2004, the DP reported that Penn students could expect a 4-5% tuition hike in the following school year. The tuition and charges reported in the article for the 2003-2004 year, including room and board, was $37,960, around $61,582.21 in 2024 dollars. Since then, Penn's tuition and charges have skyrocketed to $84,600 for the 2023-2024 school year.

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today’s DP crossword, which was constructed by Lavanya Jasra, Lala Mustafa, and Nina Wang. And click here to play today’s DP mini crossword, which was constructed by May Hathaway.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

Our top Film/TV critics join in discussion about Miyazaki’s latest and possibly last film, exploring themes of grief, morality, and militarism.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

High schoolers live for their chance to compete in Model UN. Penn students yearn to help staff. And, one Model UN staffer especially can't wait to film videos of kids performing stunts in her Crisis Committee. 
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Mariam Kazmi.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.
Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.