Copy
Tuesday, February 20

Good morning, Penn.

Happy Tuesday! In an annual survey conducted by Accountemps, Tuesday has consistently been proven as the most productive day of the week. So, this is your sign to make the best of today and clean your room or finish that paper. 

MERT hosted free CPR trainings across campus, and the Arthur Ross Gallery is hosting "The Illuminated Body," an art exhibiton by Seattle artist Barbara Earl Thomas, until late May. 

But first, the DP analyzed Penn's hiring trends, finding that the past 20 years have seen Penn hiring more administrators than educators.
SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK SHARE TODAY'S DP DAYBREAK

TODAY'S TOP STORY

Photo by Sydney Curran
Administrative growth outpaces academic faculty hiring 

Over the last two decades, the number of full-time non-medical school administrators has seen a 78% increase, whereas the number of full-time faculty has increased by only 40%.

The DP spoke with experts who addressed concern about Penn's "administrative bloat" and associated financial costs. Read more about the DP's analysis here.

READ THE FULL STORY
FOUR MORE BIG STORIES

A Penn student invented Pairfect, a matchmaking service and alternative to dating apps — and piloted it among graduate students.

MERT hosted a free, five-minute CPR training workshop across campus, reaching a greater audience than last year's training.

"The Illuminated Body" exhibition, by Seattle artist Barbara Earl Thomas, will be on view at the Arthur Ross Gallery until May 21.

The Alliance of Minority Physicians, a Penn and CHOP initiative to increase medical students' access to resources, is expanding its program across the Delaware Valley region.

MOST READ

Penn to become first Ivy League school to offer undergraduate degree in artificial intelligence

HAVE A CONFIDENTIAL TIP? TELL US HERE

OPINION

Photo by Derek Wong
COLUMNIST FRANCESCO SALAMONE urges students to prioritize reflection and harmonious passions beyond traditional prestige for a meaningful college experience.

SPORTS

In an up-and-down weekend for Penn women's basketball, the Quakers earned a win over Yale and suffered a tight loss to Brown.

After a strong showing at last year's meet, Penn women's swimming seeks to show out at this year's Ivy League Championships.

TODAY IN DP HISTORY

Photo by Ethan Young

In 2008, the DP reported on the unveiling of the UPennAlert system at Houston Hall. This January, community members were frenzied by a UPennAlert informing them of an escaped 17-year-old murder suspect on campus. 

TAKE A BREATHER

Click here to play today's DP crossword, which was constructed by Lala Mustafa and Nina Wang.

And click here to play today's DP mini crossword, which was constructed by Shubham Dixit.

FROM 34TH STREET MAGAZINE

The gilded age history isn't too far gone, at least not at the artistic and architectural wonder Lynnewood Hall just outside of Philadelphia! With an interview with Edward Thome, the Executive Director of the Lynnewood Hall Preservation Foundation, Street looks into the future of the restoration project.

Street visits the Mutter Museum’s new art exhibit, “Unhoused: Personal Stories and Public Health,” that urge us to look beyond statistics of the unhoused crisis and see the personal stories veiled behind.

FROM UNDER THE BUTTON

In this love letter to love letters, one Pennmath Stan is willing to trade their ultra rare photocards to complete their Prof G collection. Do you have something to trade?
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Mariam Kazmi.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Are you enjoying DP Daybreak? Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing The Daily Pennsylvanian's Editor-in-Chief Jared Mitovich at mitovich@thedp.com.

DP Daybreak is published Monday through Friday. You can update which newsletters you receive or unsubscribe from all newsletters at any time.

Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.