Copy
Monday, January 29

Good morning, Penn!

Welcome back to Quaker Nation! The men's and women's basketball teams struggled against Columbia, and track and field senior Bella Whittaker has set several program records. But first, let's take a look at how gymnastics is on pace to achieving one of the program's best years yet.

This week's top story:

After early-season dominance, Penn gymnastics has sights set on history

Photo by Weining Ding
Penn's Alyssa Rosen performs a scissor leap during the Red v. Blue Intrasquad Gymnastics Meet on Dec. 3, 2023.

More from DP Sports:

1. Senior Bella Whittaker is off to a blistering start in track and field, setting program records in the 400-meter and 500-meter races.
  2. Men's basketball drops its third straight conference game to a Columbia team that entered the weekend winless in the Ivy League.
  3. The women's basketball team dug itself into a hole early in the first quarter against Columbia that it ultimately couldn't overcome.
Player of the week:
Wrestling junior Nick Incontrera kept his dominant season going, notching a win against Columbia's Lennox Wolak who was ranked seventh nationally in the weight class. With the win, Incontrera remains undefeated in duals, moving to 6-0 in victories. 
Photo by Nathaniel Sirlin

One great read:

After defeating the world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, nothing more dramatic could have awaited Jannik Sinner in the men's singles final at the Australian Open. Nothing, that is, except the comeback of a lifetime.

Best of sports photo:

Photo by Nathaniel Sirlin
Senior Lucas Revano defeats David Berkovich of Columbia on Jan. 28.
Photo by Cynthia Dong
Penn men's squash hosted Harvard on Jan. 28.
Photo by Weining Ding
Freshman guard Ese Ogbevire attempts a three-point shot against Columbia on Jan. 27.
Support student journalism
We are an independent, student-run newsroom. Please consider making a donation to support the coverage that shapes Penn.
Today's newsletter was copy edited by Asha Chawla.
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Penn Daily Podcast
Subscribe to all of The Daily Pennsylvanian's newsletters to get today's biggest headlines in your inbox every weekday morning.
Thank you for joining us in this week's news in Penn sports. Please share any ideas or concerns with us by emailing Sports Editors Walker Carnathan (carnathan@thedp.com) and Vivian Yao (yao@thedp.com).

Quaker Nation arrives to your inbox Monday mornings by The Daily Pennsylvanian. You can update your subscription preferences or unsubscribe at any time.
Copyright © 2024 The Daily Pennsylvanian, All rights reserved.