mbbvs-rice-varun-89

Junior forward AJ Brodeur has looked like a player who could contend for Ivy League Player of the Year this season, putting up 21 points and eight rebounds per game through the first two games of the season. 

Credit: Varun Sudunagunta

That didn’t take long.

On Monday, Penn men’s basketball junior forward AJ Brodeur was named Ivy Player of the Week after his dominant performances in the Quakers’ wins this week over George Mason and Rice. Against the Patriots, Brodeur scored 19 points to go along with 10 rebounds and three assists, and against the Owls, he posted 23 points, 6 rebounds, and five assists.

Such recognition is not all that unusual for the Massachusetts native; during Brodeur’s first two seasons in University City, he had been named the Ivy Player of the Week three times. 

Brodeur could be primed to rack up even more awards this season, though, as the expectations for the 2017-2018 first team All-Ivy honoree have changed in light of junior guard Ryan Betley’s season-ending injury. Betley led the Red and Blue in scoring last season with an average of 14.3 per game, while Brodeur was close behind at 13.1. Although the loss of Betley may allow opponents to commit more attention to Brodeur in the post, it also could also allow Brodeur to take on an even larger role in the offense.

Brodeur’s next challenge will come on Tuesday night when the Quakers host Lafayette. In Penn’s win over Lafayette last season, Brodeur tallied 15 points.