56069_torgersenf

Former Penn quarterback Alek Torgersen landed with his fourth NFL team after he was claimed off waivers by the Arizona Cardinals.

Credit: Zach Sheldon

The NFL dream lives on for former Penn quarterback Alek Torgersen.

Just a day after he was waived by the Detroit Lions, Torgersen was claimed by the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals also claimed former Miami Dolphins quarterback Brandon Doughty.

The Californian had a tumultuous first season in the league. First, he was signed after the draft by the Atlanta Falcons, but he struggled in preseason and was cut before the start of the regular season. Torgersen was signed to the Washington Redskins’ practice squad just a few days later, where he stayed for a month before getting cut. And with just one week left in the season, he was signed by the Detroit Lions to their practice squad, where he remained until just a day ago.

At Penn, Torgersen had a historic career. He broke the school records for career passing touchdowns (52), completion percentage (65.1) and yards of total offense (7,937) while leading the Quakers to two straight Ivy League titles.

With a minicamp just 10 days away, the move represents yet another opportunity for Torgersen to jump start his NFL career. With only two quarterbacks on the Cardinals’ depth chart, the former Penn star has a chance to prove he deserves a roster spot before the NFL Draft, where the Cardinals are expected to take a quarterback.