59540_gutmannf

Penn President Amy Gutmann // Daily Pennsylvanian File Photo

Penn President Amy Gutmann addressed the tragedy of Hurricane Harvey in an emailed statement Thursday, offering support for the over 600 Penn students who are residents in impacted areas. 

According to the email, which was sent around noon on Aug. 31, Penn schools are reaching out directly to students, and Student Intervention Services — which is tasked with dealing with emergencies concerning the safety and welfare of students at Penn — is coordinating support plans with faculty members, Student Financial Services, Risk Management and other resources.

Provost Wendell Pritchett and Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli also signed the message.

The email urged those directly affected by Harvey, “whether here on campus or unable to make it back to campus,” to reach out to SIS.

The message included a list of campus resources for support at Penn and provided links to local organizations on the ground in Houston for those wishing to contribute. 

“We are shocked and saddened, as we begin a new academic year, by the tragic events unfolding in Texas and Louisiana in the wake of Hurricane Harvey,” the email read. “We extend our deepest sympathies to those who are suffering in this calamity and will be struggling to rebuild their lives in the months ahead.”