One member of the Penn community is being recognized for her work to improve the effectiveness of philanthropic donations.

Katherina Rosqueta, the founding executive director of the Center for High Impact Philanthropy will be one of 25 to receive the 2011 Philadelphia SmartCEO magazine Brava! Women Business Achievement Award on Thursday.

The Brava! award “celebrates women business leaders who combine their impressible entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for giving back to the community,” according to the SmartCEO website.

Rosqueta was selected from 250 nominees throughout the mid-Atlantic region, and will be profiled in the July issue of the magazine.

CHIP, of the School of Social Policy & Practice, aims to “[develop] the independent analysis, tools, and education that enable donors around the world to get the biggest social impact bang per buck,” Rosqueta wrote in an email.

CHIP was formally created in 2006 by Social Policy School Dean Richard Gelles along with Wharton alumni out of a frustration “with the lack of independent analysis and tools available to guide efficient [philanthropic] giving,” Rosqueta wrote.

“We develop methodology for assessing our social impact… [we] find models for philanthropy and [try] to pull together the best information from not only the academic research environment but also non-profits on the ground and experts who have been working in the field for a long time,” CHIP’s Research Director Carol McLaughlin said.

“When we hired Kat Rosqueta we knew we had found just the right person to create CHIP,” Gelles wrote in an email.

Rosqueta was one of few executives from the nonprofit realm to receive the Brava! award. “My fellow recipients are mostly CEO’s of for-profit businesses,” she wrote. “I see the award as part of a broader trend in recognizing just how important — and challenging — the ‘business’ of creating social impact is.”

Today, for every one donor who uses CHIP, that donor passes the information learned on to an estimated five more donors.

“We should all take enormous pride in the pioneering role our Center, the School of Social Policy and Practice and the broader Penn community are playing in ensuring that evidence-based, actionable solutions are getting into the hands of donors who are targeting social impact,” Rosqueta wrote. “The Center continues to evolve.”