The Undergraduate Assembly granted three contingency funding requests at its meeting Sunday.

The Social Planning and Events Committee’s Sound Committee, which provides and runs technical equipment for student groups, requested $3,585 for funding equipment next semester.

SPEC Sound traditionally offers their service free of charge for charity events and saw an increase in demand this semester. SPEC President and Wharton senior Adam Thompson expressed fear that without the contingency money, many events would not be able to happen.

In line with the Budget Committee’s suggestion, the request was granted in full.

The body also granted the Budget Committee’s recommendation of $3,750 for the Philomathean Society’s Annual Oration event, where they plan to host American scientist and author Jared Diamond. Students may attend the event free of charge.

Finally, the body granted Penn Abroad $295 to subsidize a bus trip to Ikea for exchange students in January.

UA Treasurer and Wharton senior Ryan Houston, director of the Budget Committee, said each request was thorough and appropriate for the contingency guidelines.

About $17,000 of contingency funds remain, he said.

The UA also voted to host a Dining Hall Appreciation Day Dec. 10, which will feature poster boards and markers in 1920 Commons for students to write thank-you notes to Bon Appetit staff.

UA member and College freshman Cornelius Range said the idea was inspired by a similar project at Columbia University.

UA President and College senior Matt Amalfitano discussed a pilot readership program USA Today proposed to him.

Penn students would receive print copies of the newspaper free of charge for two weeks. If the program was successful, USA Today would expect the UA to purchase a long-tem readership program which would also include The Financial Times and The New York Times.

The body was reluctant to pursue the program because of the nature of USA Today. “We’re not a hotel,” College representative and senior Ali Huberlie said.

The program would also cost about $6,000 more than the New York Times readership program they cut this summer, Amalfitano added.

The body also voted to reinstate Wharton representative and junior Faizan Khan, who had been temporarily deposed based on his attendance record.