09302010_omaximusspokenword031
Oveous Maximus Spoken Word

“To tell you the truth,” said Oveous Maximus Thursday evening, “Yo no quiero your Taco Bell.”

Grupo Quisqueyano, the Dominican Students Association, hosted a Spoken Word Night featuring Maximus, a Dominican-American spoken-word artist, poet and musician. Held in Bodek Lounge, the event was sponsored by La Casa Latina, Student Activities Council and Social Planning and Events Committee Connaissance in celebration of Latino Heritage Month, which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

“We plan events throughout the month to educate the Penn community about Latino culture,” Wharton senior Petry Solianny, president of Grupo Quisqueyano, said.

Following his brother’s suicide in 2003, Maximus began writing and performing at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe in New York. He was later featured in Showtime at the Apollo and on the HBO series Def Poetry. In 2006, he starred in the documentary Spit, and has since recorded two studio albums.

During his performance, Maximus rapped about his mother, his late brother, his heritage and the media. In his poem “Dulce de Leche,” Maximus discussed the importance of respecting women, especially mothers. “This will always be a man’s world,” he said, “but it’s under a woman’s supervision.”

He also read a reflective poem about turning 30 years old and a humorous love poem addressed to a future ex-girlfriend.

In addition to reading poems that he had prepared and performed at previous events, Maximus also improvised and interacted with the audience of about 50 students.

“I liked that he would cut into his pieces and converse with us,” College freshman Diana Estrada-Alamo said. Audience members were also encouraged to snap and clap loudly throughout the evening.

“It was raining outside,” Maximus said. “But the real storm was in here.”