10042008_footballvdartmouth02031_michael_mimaggio020
Penn football beats Dartmouth at Franklin Field. Dartmouth 5 Alex Jenny Credit: Katie Rubin

For the past two years, Columbia failed to tally a single road victory. To snap that streak, however, they only had to travel to nearby Fordham — a mere 20-minute ride.

The Lions upset their crosstown rivals, 40-28, to bring the Liberty Cup back to Manhattan for the first time since 2006.

Senior quarterback M.A. Olawale earned Liberty Cup MVP honors by throwing for two touchdowns and running for two more. The Lions defense hounded Rams quarterback John Skelton — dubbed by ESPN’s Bruce Feldman as “the best pro QB prospect you’ve never heard of” — intercepting him three times.

While most would have considered Columbia the underdog going into the game, coach Norries Wilson views this victory as only a sign of things to come.

“This is how much these gentlemen, these students, have grown up — my clothes are dry,” he told the Columbia Daily Spectator. “There was no pouring Gatorade on the coach — they expected to win this football game.”

Plus Two for Dartmouth ‘D’. A 34-15 loss to Colgate extended Dartmouth’s losing streak to twelve games, but the special teams unit churned up some excitement midway through the second quarter.

After Big Green quarterback Alex Jenny tied the score at seven, the Red Raiders marched down the field, culminating the drive on a 15-yard touchdown run by junior quarterback Greg Sullivan to put Colgate up 13-7.

Dartmouth defensive tackle Eddie Smith blocked the ensuing extra point, and sophomore cornerback Shawn Abuhoff scooped up the ball and sprinted to the endzone, cutting Colgate’s lead to 13-9. It was the Big Green’s first defensive extra point in 16 years.

Though Dartmouth would notch two more field goals to go ahead 15-13, three unanswered Red Raiders touchdowns iced the game.

Abuhoff turned in a well-rounded performance, notching kick and punt returns of more than 35 yards to go along with an interception and the defensive extra point.

Brown in the Dumps. Brown senior placekicker Drew Plichta made two mistakes that cost the Bears a win last weekend.

Midway through the third quarter, punter Nate Lovett ran 37 yards on a fake punt. The run set up junior quarterback Kyle Newhall’s third touchdown pass of the day, which gave the Bears a 20-14 lead over Stony Brook. Plichta, however, missed the extra point.

The Seawolves took a one-point lead with only 47 seconds remaining, but Newhall — who threw for 267 yards in his collegiate debut — led the Bears to the Stony Brook 23-yard line, setting up a 40-yard shot at redemption for Plichta. The kick sailed wide right as time expired.