Almost a fifth of Penn Law's graduating class had full-time post-graduate plans secured - only to have their hiring firm delay start dates and withhold expected salaries.

Since a large number of firms are recommending, or even requiring, that graduates pursue nonprofit work during the deferred interim, a number of graduates are finding themselves without adequate resources.

In response to this trend, LexisNexis, a leading global provider of public records, legal, business and news documents, recently unveiled its Associates Serving Public Interests Research (ASPIRE) program. ASPIRE provides complimentary access to LexisNexis services to those 2009 law school graduates working for nonprofit or public interest companies.

In the current economy, those Penn Law graduates with delayed or rescinded offers are not alone. According to the National Law Journal, many top law firms have pushed back start dates to January or August of 2010, with some even asking future employees to defer until 2011.

The ASPIRE program targets graduates turning to nonprofit companies for work who are now facing stipends and low pay instead of the expected six figures they might have received as a first-year associate at a firm.

Any 2009 graduate accepted as an associate at a professional law firm who had their start date delayed and has been required or elected to pursue nonprofit work during the deferral period is eligible to participate.

"The LexisNexis ASPIRE program is intended to help provide the tools law firm graduates need to be successful in their public interest endeavors," Robert Romeo, the senior vice president of LexisNexis, said in a statement.

The program offers free access to the LexisNexis platform, including a database consisting of federal and state case-law, codes, regulations and law reviews, as well as a career center.

Nonprofit companies will also be able to post nonprofit and pro-bono job opportunities on the site's career center for free. It will also include online training and materials to help prepare students for work in public interest fields.

Heather Frattone, the associate dean for Career Planning, explained that both Penn Law and hiring firms have supported graduates and their needs during the deferral period with guidance on issues such as securing insurance or managing student loans.

However, she expects the ASPIRE program to be extremely beneficial to those who have been deferred and are engaging in public service opportunities. "It's a great tool to further support public service work," she said.