After 35 seasons of unprecedented success as the coach of Penn men's and women's fencing, Hall of Famer Dave Micahnik has announced his retirement from the program, according to a Penn Athletics press release earlier today. Micahnik's official announcement was made at the fencing team banquet last night at the Inn at Penn.

"I have every confidence that Penn Fencing will continue to be among the nation's elite programs," Micahnik said in the press release. "The teams are strong again going into the next season. With the continued strong support of the Athletic Department's administration, the new head coach will be able to maintain and build upon what has gone before, just as we have done from year to year. From one who bleeds Red and Blue, I say GO PENN!"

Micahnik led the Quakers to a winning record in every year of his tenure. He has amassed a combined men's and women's career record of 722-210 (343-105 on the men's side, 379-105 for the women).

Elected to the US Fencing Association Hall of Fame in 2008, Micahnik leaves Penn at a high point in his career. The men's team went undefeated this season under his tutelage on their way to the program's 16th Ivy League Championship. The men and women also combined to win the IFA six-weapon title for the first time in program history.

The 1959 Penn graduate, 1960 US National Champion and three-time Olympian will be sorely missed by the fencing program and the athletic department as a whole.

"Dave is truly a Penn treasure, and his contribution to Penn Athletics and the fencing programs is unmatched," Penn Athletic Director Steve Bilsky said. "He has always been the consummate professional and a loyal member of the Penn coaching fraternity. I am pleased that he will be assisting us in our unprecedented development campaign, and we are sure the legions of fencing alumni and Dave's friends join me in wishing Dave and his wife Phyllis a wonderful, well-deserved retirement."

A full story on Micahnik's retirement will appear in tomorrow's DP