A man exposed himself to a Penn student walking home from class Monday evening - the second such incident in the past two weeks.

The College sophomore, who wished to remain anonymous, said she was walking westbound on the 3800 block of Walnut street at about 8 p.m. and talking on her cell phone when the man in front of her turned around, walked toward her and then exposed himself.

She rushed to her residence, the nearby Sigma Delta Tau sorority house, and saw the man get in the driver's side of a car and drive away.

She said she then reported the incident to Penn Police.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush confirmed that the incident took place but said that she does not believe this exposure is related to an incident two weeks ago in which an Allied Barton security guard offered to walk a female student home and then exposed himself. He has since been removed from campus.

The suspect in the most recent exposure - who did not appear to be a security guard - was described as a male with a dark complexion, between the ages of 20 and 30. He was wearing dark sweatpants and a dark sweatshirt.

Police had no description of the vehicle. Rush said the student will be interviewed today by Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit.

"I was lucky I was right outside my house," she said. "People should honestly take everything they're hearing seriously and do their best not to walk alone."

College senior and SDT president Beth Newton said the issue was discussed within the sorority.

"Safety is a huge issue now more than ever here at Penn," Newton said. "When something like this happens to someone you know, people start to be a lot more on their guard."

College junior Wyn Furman, who lives in an off-campus apartment nearby, echoed the need for vigilance and common sense, though she said some incidents are simply unavoidable.

"Be aware of your surroundings, because there's no way to protect yourself against someone exposing themselves," Furman said. "We're just fortunate that it didn't go beyond exposure."