Philadelphia Police officials are not investigating possible police misconduct in the death of Lamar Bembry because they have evidence showing that Bembry, who was shot and killed by police during a gun battle early Sunday morning at 38th and Chestnut streets, was among one of the shooters on the scene, said Lt. Frank Vanore of Philadelphia Police Public Affairs.

Bembry allegedly opened fire while leaving the Koko Bongo nightclub at 38th and Chestnut at about 2:00 a.m. and was shot in the chest by police in the ensuing gunfight.

Vanore said ballistic evidence revealed that police officers acted correctly in firing at Bembry. It also showed that there were at least two other shooters who participated in the gunfight, although no weapons from these shooters have been recovered.

Philadelphia Police were already on the scene when the shooting began because there had been a few minor instances last week when Koko Bongo let out, Vanore said.

Police temporarily detained a few suspects but have not yet charged anyone. They urge anyone with information regarding the shootings to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-1776.