When it comes to capital campaigns, the University has a history of reaching some hefty goals.

Since Ben Franklin's first fundraising efforts to establish the University, Penn administrators have embarked on six capital campaigns, including the campaign launched Saturday night.

And if history really does repeat itself, the odds are good that the University will reach its current $3.5 billion goal.

Each campaign, except the one conducted during the Great Depression, achieved or surpassed its original fundraising goal.

Funds raised in past campaigns were used for a variety of projects, but typically included the increase of financial aid, construction of new buildings and expanded endowments for professorships and research.

Though the specific goals of campaigns have changed over time, certain common themes link each campaign.

"The essential university purpose and mission has remained constant throughout the last century: research, teaching and public service," University Archivist Mark Frazier Lloyd said.

Lloyd noted that a campaign can be successful about once every 10 years.

The successes of past campaigns have taught today's fundraisers a few things about how to go about asking members of the University community for donations.

"As you go into [a campaign], you have to have a vision, clearly articulated goals and you have to be able to demonstrate impact," Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations John Zeller said.

Right now, Zeller says, support is at an all-time high, making the kickoff of the campaign timely.

"There's a great energy and excitement about Penn from students, alumni, faculty and staff," he said. "It's an institution that's really on the move."

On Friday, the University Archives and Records Center opened an exhibition chronicling the history of Penn's capital campaigns. The exhibition is located on the first floor of College Hall and will remain there for a year.

"It's good to have some perspective on how much these capital campaigns lead to changes at Penn and really improve it for each generation of students," said Carol Benenson Perloff, the curator of the exhibition.

According to the University Archives, past campaigns include:

n The University of Pennsylvania Fund, held between 1925-1940, aimed for $45.6 million and raised $26 million. Money was used for the creation of the Women's College and improved facilities and faculty. Additionally, the campaign strove to create a greater body of financial supporters for the future.

n The University of Pennsylvania Development Fund, 1946-1956, sought $32 million. The total amount raised is unknown. Money was used for the construction of the David Rittenhouse Laboratory, a new Wharton building, a new library and endowments for teaching and research in all schools and departments.

n The University of Pennsylvania Development Program, 1964-1969, raised $100 million, $7 million more than its stated goal. Money was used for the construction of five new residential halls; graduate-student housing; a fine-arts building; buildings for the Schools of Dental Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Nursing; an expansion of the hospital; and an increase in financial aid and endowments for professorships.

n The Program for the '80s, 1975-1980, raised $1 million more than its $255 million goal. Money was used for faculty recruitment; student financial aid; academic, recreational and athletic program development; and new construction and renovation.

n The Campaign for Penn, 1989-1994, sought $1 billion and raised $1.4 billion. Money was used for faculty recruitment and retention, enhanced undergraduate education and student life, diversity, financial aid, scholarships and research.

n The Campaign For Penn, 2007-2012, aims for a $3.5 billion total. $1.6 billion has been raised to date.