Khalid and Dawud Faruqi were convicted last week of the December 2000 mass killings in a West Philadelphia crack house that have come to be known as the "Lex Street Massacre."

The brothers were found guilty of seven counts of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder, seven counts of robbery and additional related charges on March 5 by a city jury. Prior to sentencing, they faced the death penalty for the crimes.

On March 8, however, during the sentencing phase of the proceedings, the brothers pleaded guilty in exchange for seven consecutive life sentences without possibility of parole. Throughout the trial, the brothers had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

As part of the agreement with the District Attorney's Office, they also agreed not to appeal their convictions.

The killings took place after an attempted robbery went awry.

Two accomplices to the crime, Shihean Black and Bruce Veney, had pleaded guilty before the beginning of the trial.

Veney, who testified against the Faruqis during the trial, pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and received 15 to 30 years in prison. Black pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and also received seven consecutive life terms without parole.

According to the The Philadelphia Inquirer, two members of victims' families were forcibly removed from the courtroom after several emotional outbursts.

"I don't have my brother anymore! ... Now you want to say you're guilty?" yelled Tamika Porter, sister of victim George Porter, who was 18 years old at the time of his murder.

According to the Inquirer, prosecutors discussed the plea agreement with the families of the victims before it was signed, explaining that the deal would prevent additional litigation on the case that could last for years to come.

Before the arrests last year and subsequent convictions of the Faruqi brothers, four innocent men were arrested for the crime, only to be released and cleared of all charges after 18 months in prison.

This past September, the falsely-imprisoned men reached a settlement in a civil lawsuit against the city, which awarded $1.9 million to be divided among them.

The verdict brings to an end the three-year ordeal that has plagued the city and many of its residents.

"We wanted finality," said Assistant District Attorney Mark Gilson, according to the Inquirer. "This puts to an end the possibility that these men will ever walk the streets again."

Attorneys representing the brothers could not be reached for comment.