The 104th Running of the Penn Relay Carnival Roger Bannister would be proud of these guys. Ever since the British phenom broke the four-minute mile barrier in 1954, runners around the world have struggled to match it. Now four runners in a row will try to break four minutes in the 4xMile relay, held this Saturday at 12:50 p.m. The history of the 4xMile race is a bit more complicated than the average relay. The event has not been run at the Penn Relays in 22 years. Instead, most meets feature the 4x1500 meter race, due to the fact that most of the world does not know what a mile is. But now that the 4xMile replaces the 4x1500 this year, 17 teams will assault the record, 16:08.9, set in 1962 by Oregon. The prohibitive favorites to win, and perhaps break 16 minutes, are Arkansas and Michigan, with Stanford a close third. Arkansas has four runners who have run sub-four minutes in the mile individually, but as Razorback coach John McConnell said, "Getting them all to do it at the same time is a little bit different." Arkansas returns three of its four members from its 4x1500 team last year, anchored by standout Seneca Lassiter, who is the nation's defending 1,500 meter champ. He ran a 3:38.85 in the 1,500, equivalent to a 3:56 mile. Aussie Michael Power, who ran a second-place 3:43.88 in the 1,500 at the Southeastern Conference Indoor Championships, will run second, and Phillip Price, who has run the 1,500 in 3:41.05, will run third. Leading off for the Hogs is Matt Kerr, the SEC indoor mile champ with a 4:03. "I like our chances [of winning]," McConnell said. "I think if we stay healthy until we get there we'll be one of the teams that will be contending for the title." Breaking 16, however, is a taller order. "I think we can [break 16] if the pace starts out that way and the weather is conducive," McConnell said. Michigan tries to challenge Arkansas' recent dominance at the distance. The Razorbacks have taken 12 of the last 15 4x1500 titles, but have never won in the 4xMile. Michigan star Kevin Sullivan edged out Lassiter by six hundredths of a second for the college indoor 1,500 title last month. He also has run the mile in 3:52.25. Two of his teammates from last year return -- Don McLaughlin and John Mortimer, who has had more success at longer distances. Jay Cantin, the final member of the team, finished second to Sullivan in the Big 10 indoor mile. "I'm not sure that we can run four guys under four minutes," Michigan coach Jack Harvey said. "But we might be able to average close to four minutes." Sullivan was sick last weekend, but Harvey expects him to be ready for Saturday. Stanford has an outside shot at making waves Saturday, but it is a young team comprised of two freshmen, one sophomore and just one senior. One of the freshman, Jonathon Riley, finished fourth in the NCAA indoor mile. Cardinal coach Vin Lananna downplayed the 16-minute benchmark. "To tell the truth, I haven't really even thought about it," Lananna said. "If, after the meet is over, we've broken 16 minutes, then great." Stanford does not have history on its side. The Cardinal have never won a Penn Relays title, compared to Arkansas' 28 and Michigan's 37. McConnell indicated that his Razorbacks would try to set a record-setting pace if the conditions are good. Still, records aside, all 17 teams are focused on the bottom line -- a victory. "When the dust settles? [a win is] the most important thing," McConnell said.