The University and Santa Claus are teaming up once again this holiday season with the 10th annual Operation Santa Claus gift drive. Supported by donations of toys, clothes and money, the project benefits children in St. Joseph's Home for Boys in Philadelphia, as well as senior citizens in three area nursing homes -- the Ralston House, the Stephen Smith Home and the Mercy Douglas nursing home. Yvonne Oronzio, an administrative assistant in Student Financial Services, organized the drive, which will culminate in a holiday luncheon December 17 at the Faculty Club. Last year's efforts, which Oronzio described as "an overwhelming success," raised more than 800 gifts, which were then distributed to the senior citizens and children at the luncheon. Others were given to bedridden or school-age children who could not attend. "These people are so adorable? and are so needy for communication and attention," Oronzio said of the senior citizens. "There was this man last year, he would say 'Have a cool yule' to everyone who went by!" The Faculty Club provides lunch for the guests, while a Physical Plant worker dresses up as old St. Nick to distribute gifts and spread holiday cheer to the crowd. "The ladies love him -- they get all blushed and flustered when he calls them 'honey'," Oronzio said. She added that senior citizens sitting alongside children at the luncheon create an interesting dynamic. "The [senior citizens] forget how old they are and help the kids with their food," she said. Operation Santa Claus, initiated on campus 10 years ago, is independent of the University but completely funded by donations from members of the University community. "It's totally [funded] from the heart, not from someone's big bank account," Oronzio said. Physical Plant employee George Reale, who has helped Oronzio with the project, noted the "warm and toasty" feelings workers get from donating to the cause every year. "[Oronzio] brings out the best in all of us and gives us the opportunity to realize just how lucky we are," he said. Oronzio, who has also organized gift drives for flood victims and soldiers in the Gulf War, is accepting donations for the effort through December 11.