Sami Dakko has been operating Rami's food truck on the corner of 40th and Locust streets for 12 years, and the prospect of being forced to relocate his business under proposed legislation regulating outdoor vending in the area hits close to home. "Everybody knows me here, where I make a living -- if I move, I will lose half of my business," Dakko said. "It's going to be hard for me to start from the beginning -- I'm not young anymore." Many area vendors echo Dakko's concerns, as the proposed University City vending ordinance edges closer to approval. After more than six months of negotiations between the University and area vendors, several Penn-affiliated parties have finalized the details for the proposed vending ordinance -- which would seek to relocate vendors to specific locations around campus -- and will send it to Philadelphia City Council this week for debate. The proposed legislation would prohibit outdoor vending directly in front of existing or future retail locations, as well as in residential districts. Additionally, it would eliminate vending on most of Locust, Walnut, Chestnut and Sansom streets, restricting it to the western side of 38th Street, Spruce Street between 36th and 38th streets, 40th Street between Spruce and Locust streets, 33rd Street near the Palestra and along Market Street between 34th and 40th streets. There will also be 13 outdoor carts near the Penn Tower Hotel. "We have managed to strike a very nice balance between the concerns of the University and those of the vendors and the vending public," said Jack Shannon, the University's top economic development official. In the next few days, University officials will forward a copy of the proposed ordinance -- which will "incorporate these locations for vendors and a chronology of the activities that have taken place concerning the dialogues with various interested stakeholders and constituencies," according to Shannon -- to City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell. "We can demonstrate to the councilwoman that we have struck a very good balance in construction of a new ordinance so that it meets the needs of all those involved with the vending issue," he added. If Blackwell decides to propose the legislation to City Council, the body will debate the issue at its weekly public meetings before putting the legislation to a vote. After approving or rejecting the legislation, the council will schedule public hearings to inform the University community of its decision on the bill, Shannon said. "Although the dates and times of these meetings are yet to be determined, we will publicize the legislative process as we continue to move forward," he added. In addition to the specified vending areas proposed by the ordinance, the University will create five fresh air food plazas, which will provide free electrical hook-ups, outdoor seating and improved lighting. The plazas, which are set to materialize by next spring, will be scattered around campus: behind the Van Pelt Library, between Gimbel Gymnasium and the adjacent Mod Six Garage, along the eastern side of 40th Street between Walnut and Locust streets, on the corner of 34th and Spruce streets, and next to Bennett Hall. Because all the vending plazas will be on University property, they will not be subject to the restrictions of the city ordinance. Although University officials catalogued 89 trucks, carts and stands on campus as of a week and a half ago, the proposed ordinance allows room for 100 possible vending locations along streets or sidewalks, in addition to the five private fresh air food plazas, capping the total number of possible vendors at 145. The original 100 locations can accommodate 28 food trucks and 72 carts, while the fresh air food plazas would accommodate 17 food trucks, 20 carts and eight stands. "It is of course very possible that not all the possible spots will be filled, but there is room for rational, intelligent growth if the market demands it," Shannon said. But Dakko isn't the only area vendor furious at the possibility of being forced to relocate. When Mohammed Jibar -- who sells videotapes on 40th and Locust streets -- heard that he may have to move across the street to allow free access to the retail on 40th Street, Jibar pointed to the new site and said, "Nobody walks over there. I won't make money." And Gaptae Kim, owner of the fruit and vegetable stand on 40th and Walnut streets, stressed that he would make "close to nothing" if forced to move.