As two professors anxiously await a resolution to the resubmission of their tenure cases, they might turn to the past to see how the many other University professors who have been denied tenure dealt with the situation. While English Professor Gregg Camfield and Geology Professor George Boyajian have opted to continue their fights for tenure, most instructors in similar situations leave the University to pursue other professional opportunities. Former Veterinary Medicine Professor Ann Jeglem, who was denied tenure seven years ago, now practices at her own clinic in West Chester County. In addition to her clinical responsibilities, Jeglem continues to conduct research at the University-affiliated Wistar Institute, and lectures at other institutions. She said she is very happy with her current work. Jeglem was first denied tenure in the summer of 1989, and filed a grievance against the University immediately afterwards. "I felt that my tenure process was not fair and based on sex discrimination," she said. After the court ruled in Jeglem's favor, she declined the judicial recommendation that she be reviewed again. In her settlement with the University, Jeglem was appointed an adjunct associate professor -- meaning that the University can ask her to lecture or teach again. But the University has made no such request as of yet. Former English Professor David McWhirter, who was denied tenure in 1991, is now a tenured English professor at Texas A & M University. "I was given tenure two months after I arrived," McWhirter said. Although McWhirter said he enjoys his present position, he added that he misses the East Coast very much. "The move from the East Coast to [Texas] was a major upheaval," McWhirter said. When former Veterinary Clinical Studies Professor David Freeman was denied tenure for a second time in the spring of 1991, he did not leave the University immediately. Instead, he accepted a staff position at the New Bolton Center and stayed there for another three years. Freeman, who now works at the University of Illinois School of Veterinary Medicine, said he plans to apply for tenure at his present place of employment in the near future. Some professors who have not been granted tenure still maintain ties with the University. Denied tenure in the spring of 1994, former English Professor Dan Bivona now serves as a part time visiting professor for the College of General Studies. However, he recently accepted a full time offer at Rowan College in New Jersey, and plans to move to Arizona State University after one year at Rowan. And although former Management Professor Paul Tiffany works out of offices in both California and Philadelphia, he is technically still considered a member of the Wharton School of Business faculty. Former faculty members voiced mixed feelings about the tenure process. "Like the tenure process any place else, it's very uneven," McWhirter said. "What happens in each case is unique. "You can't extrapolate from case to case," he emphasized. "The most bothersome thing about the process is the discrepancy between department opinions and those of the other levels of tenure." McWhirter said he felt the process "on the whole is reasonably fair." He added that supports the tenure process and views it as a "good idea," but he also noted that the process is manipulatable by nature. But Bivona said he was not happy with the current state of the tenure process. "I don't think it's a very sane one," Bivona said. Jeglem also criticized the current tenure system. "The track record speaks for itself," Jeglem said, referring to the many sexual discrimination cases that have arisen from tenure disputes. Filing grievances, she added, is "the only way you can fight the tenure process." Freeman, however, took the middle ground between his former colleague's views. "Every system has got its weakness and strengths," he said. "There's no best way to evaluate someone for tenure. Each school ultimately has to pick the way it feels is most fair." Despite criticisms of the tenure process, former employees have no complaints about their individual departments. Bivona said the English Department treated him very well. "I have no serious complaints about [the department]," he said. And McWhirter emphasized the tremendous amount of support he received from the English Department "which translated to nothing at the next level."