Find all files by this author

Rachel del Valle

Recent articles

Rachel del Valle | All I want for Christmas

One of my idealized markers of maturity is the ability to give meaningful, interesting presents to people I love. Right now, I’m not really there.

December 9, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Know thy selfie

As you may or may not have already heard, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is “selfie.”

November 24, 2013

Rachel del Valle | What's all the buzz about?

It seems that, especially on a college campus, reading for pleasure has become a rare activity.

November 10, 2013

Rachel del Valle | The most wonderful time of the year?

I used to dislike the commercialization, the overeagerness surrounding the “Most Wonderful Time of the Year.” But now I see that maybe it’s not such a bad thing.

November 3, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Life is good?

There’s more of a symbiotic relationship between the highs and lows of temperament than most people recognize. It’s not so much a dichotomy as a continuum.

October 27, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Turning a page

I’m smart, but I still like to read mindless things every once in a while.

October 20, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Pull the plug

Lately, I’ve come to think that one of the most valuable things you can give someone is your undivided attention.

October 14, 2013

Rachel del Valle | The Rory Gilmore complex

We spend a lot of time with the figments of writers’ imaginations, sometimes forgetting that that’s what they are.

September 29, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Call me crazy

One of the rules I used to have for myself was that I’d never see a therapist. I thought that therapy was self-indulgent, excessive, the stuff of Woody Allen movies and not something you do in real life. But that changed two weeks ago.

September 22, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Freshman friends are not forever

I have a theory that the student body of Penn is composed of maybe 30 percent introverts, and of that 30 percent, about half of those spend their first few years trying to pretend they’re extroverts like everyone else.

September 16, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Get Real

Acting like a real person means, essentially, acting like a grown-up, an adult. But it doesn’t have the same, sad, unexciting connotation as those other terms.

September 8, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Hands off

In most situations, hugs are an inordinately intimate greeting. Sometimes I find myself in the grasp of a hug with someone who I’d never even had a one-on-one conversation with.

September 2, 2013

The city where I'll never sleep

I always wanted to move to New York City. Ironically, now that I’m at the age where moving to New York on my own is a possibility, I’m coming up with more cons than pros.

August 20, 2013

Rachel del Valle | In defense of Facebook culture

I do keep a journal, sort of. I can look back on it with minimal discomfort, and I don’t have to search through memorabilia boxes to find it. It’s my Facebook profile.

April 22, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Girls just wanna have fun

I don’t understand why it’s laughable that girls want to hang out with a bunch of other girls and drink and not get dressed up and just chill. That sounds a lot like bro culture to me, but no one writes articles blaming bros for declining marriage rates.

April 15, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Oh, pretty woman

To huff and puff every time a woman is noted for both her beauty as well as her brains only reinforces the double standard females face in reaching positions of power. So what if someone says she’s pretty? Get over it.

April 9, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Pick a job, any job

There’s an unavoidable, nettling sense of superficiality that comes with mentally aligning yourself with a certain life — or in my case, lives.

April 1, 2013

Rachel del Valle | Now or later

Because sometimes you don’t actually have that much to do. At the end of every horrible week, there’s a calm, and you can either choose to embrace it or unnecessarily stress yourself out about the next thing.

March 26, 2013

Rachel del Valle | What’s the age again?

So every once in a while, it’s a bit jarring to pause and realize that I’m living in 2013, in the United States, with a biracial president — and there’s still a current of latent prejudice everywhere.

March 19, 2013

Rachel del Valle | A class for class' sake

Maybe we should just be more open. The fall 2013 courses are up on Penn In Touch, and as I scan over the hundreds of listings, I’m trying to temper my graduation requirements with my intellectual curiosity.

February 25, 2013

Recent posts

Recent media

Image: 27032_3f.JPG

January 14, 2013

Image: 21346_racheldelvallef.png

September 12, 2011