Find all files by this author

Hayley Brooks and Ali Kokot

Recent articles

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | It was just a fling

Why do we jam pack the year’s allotted fun into one weekend when it never turns out to be the best one?

April 16, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Lilly Pulitzer’s blue print

Pulitzer’s tale is a refreshing success story that finds promise in our daily mistakes — one of hers landed her a company with net sales over $100 million just this past year.

April 9, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Social slacktivism

Supporting a cause has become as simple as clicking “upload” with an ease that undermines actual activism.

April 2, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Why isn’t Lena leaning

But as we look to past pop culture role models of ours, the girls from “Girls,” Lena Dunham’s hit HBO series, we’re confused. In their sour season two finale last Sunday night, they represent the antithesis of Sandberg’s message.

March 20, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Disney, drugs and dubstep?

While these actresses use “Spring Breakers” as a catalyst for reinvention, we too use our own week of spring break to rebrand ourselves.

March 13, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Searching for serendipity

Graph Search has taken the “making” out of friend-making, and this instant gratification can’t compete with the rewards of taking the time to really get to know someone. Will there come a day when we can no longer enjoy the process of unearthing our quirky common interests — like quinoa — because Facebook will have already detected them for us?

February 26, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Working to play

Penn has a pre-professional aura that radiates outward from Huntsman, enveloping the rest of campus. This internal pressure, coupled with the external pressure from career-minded parents, can discourage students from seeking other opportunities, even if those opportunities might be a better fit than finance. There should be more support for students who want to spend their summer incorporating their play — or better put, their passions — into their work.

February 19, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | The debased base system

However it happened, the baseball model has infiltrated both our collective consciousness and our corresponding bedroom behavior.

February 13, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Forward thinking

While we’ve all been warned against sending pictures of ourselves in the buff, what’s more worrisome is that we don’t seem the least bit concerned about forwarding, sharing and further exploiting our peers. Worse, this trend is not bounded by the cybersphere — it’s alive in real time.

February 6, 2013

Ali Kokot & Hayley Brooks | To our dearest Abby

Last Thursday, we lost the master of the art. Pauline Phillips, who wrote the most iconic advice column of all time under the pseudonym “Abigail Van Buren,” passed away at 94 years young.

January 23, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Fratty food

Food is an integral part of the open rush process for both genders. This past week, fraternities and sororities each served up a different plat du jour, subliminally reinforcing their specific dose of gender stereotyping in such choices.

January 16, 2013

Ali Kokot & Hayley Brooks | The broads abroad

Ali and Hayley here, and after a semester traipsing across the pond, we’re back!

January 9, 2013

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | ThinkTwice.Wordpress.com

While today’s hot social media sites, Twitter and Facebook, serve mostly to feed our vanity and self-absorption, the blogosphere often provides a more productive outlet.

August 1, 2012

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Girls, on GIRLS

Last Sunday night, we watched the first season of Dunham’s HBO darling come to a circuitous end: we started with Hannah eating, and we finish with Hannah eating.

June 20, 2012

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Declaring 'Game Over'

Open dialogue between the sexes at Penn is just not happening because the “game” we subscribe to requires crafty disingenuity.

April 24, 2012

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | On the outside, looking Fl(in)g

From the guys at Allegro’s who served us pizza at 3 o’clock in the morning, to the accepted students who toured Penn for the very first time — we were curious about how Fling fared for those on the periphery.

April 16, 2012

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Sometimes it's kosher to stray from tradition

Back in high school, the bell rang and it was home to the family. Now, we go home to our friends.

April 9, 2012

Joke Issue: Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Get low? YEAH, BRO!

After publishing our first little number on grinding. — we’ve reevaluated how we stand on this mating ritual: to the front, to the back and to the side.

April 4, 2012

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | Student government has a problem

Beneath the corny Undergraduate Assembly election posters adorned with shameless rhyme schemes — “Sex Under The Button, Vote for Abe Sutton” … umm — that we saw last week, student government may actually be the outlet for our grievances.

April 3, 2012

Hayley Brooks & Ali Kokot | A case for the Lone Luncher

In our digitized, connected world, we’re quick to judge those who lunch like Liz — by themselves.

March 29, 2012

Recent posts

Recent media

Image: 23572_dsc_6407f.jpg

January 23, 2012