admissions_memories

High-school seniors around the world found out whether they got into Penn March 29. We asked current students to remember their admissions stories. Read about how the Class of 2016 fared this year.

Credit: Allie Mayer

The Ivy League saw mixed results in this year’s application cycle.

Penn admitted 12.3 percent of its applicants this year, which is the second highest acceptance rate in the Ivy League behind Cornell University.

Harvard and Princeton universities, who reinstated their early action programs this year, saw all-time-low acceptance rates. Cornell and Yale universities and Dartmouth College, who all received record numbers of applications this year, also had their lowest acceptance rates.

On the other hand, Columbia and Brown universities, whose acceptance rates have been decreasing for the past few years, reported increases in their acceptance rates.

Overall, the eight schools showed an average acceptance rate of 9.6 percent. The class of 2016 submitted a total of 242,672 applications to the eight schools, 3,062 fewer than last year.

Penn’s Dean of Admissions Eric Furda said students who are preparing to apply to college next year should focus their energy on researching and applying to several schools that are a good fit for them. With these low acceptance rates, students should make sure they are “thrilled” about each of their choices.

“It’s rare nowadays to find a student who applies to the eight schools and gets into the eight schools,” he said. “It’s important to construct a list that will give you options in the end.”