Amid student surprise at the recent closing of Fine Wine & Good Spirits, details surrounding the building’s closure still remain a mystery.

The building — located at 41st and Market streets — closed on Jan. 14. It was one of 601 stores operated by the state of Pennsylvania.

The building closed due to problems with the landlord and the building site, Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board spokesperson Stacey Witalec said.

The landlord was unavailable for comment.

Philadelphia’s Department of Licenses and Inspections had no active building violations on record for the building.

The Philadelphia Building Construction and Occupancy Code stipulates that buildings must uphold standards in categories such as electrical, fire and mechanical.

There are no outstanding balances for the building in past years, according to Philadelphia’s Office of Property Assessment, which has tax records of the building on file.

As of Jan. 19, a balance of $1,388.39 had yet to be paid for 2012.

The PLCB is considering opening another liquor store in the area, but details of the new building’s location are still being discussed, Witalec said.

The board must present a permit to the Zoning Board of Adjustment for approval of a new site. The Zoning Board of Adjustment has the power to reject liquor licenses for buildings within 300 feet of religious institutions, schools and public playgrounds, charitable institutions and hospitals.

In 2007, the PLCB pursued a location at 43rd and Walnut streets, a location that was in close proximity to a local mosque. Members of the mosque opposed the move, and the liquor store’s plans for its new location dissolved.

Related

Local liquor store closed due to issues with the site and landlord

Local liquor store permanently closes its doors