Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

OP-ED: Penn Should Totally Offer Summer Classes!

5th_Floor_Lecture_Hall

Photo by Xbxg32000 / CC BY-SA 3.0

As the summer comes to an end, I’m left thinking about all the classes I have left to take before I graduate. It’s an overwhelming number, really, and it bums me out that I spent the whole summer working as a lifeguard after only getting an offer from Apple, when I could have been using that time doing something more productive. If only it were possible to take classes at Penn during the summer…

And then it hit me. Penn should offer classes during the summer! They would be just like regular classes, but they would meet for longer each week to make up for fewer weeks available over the summer. People could take classes over the summer instead of wasting their time at second rate internships.

Once I had this crazy idea, I couldn’t believe that no one had thought of it before. I mean, for a bunch of ivy league students these people must be pretty dim. Has Amy Gutmann been living under a rock for the last 23 years? (We’re very unsure about how old she is - 13? 97?)

To move forward on this idea, UTB contacted the administration to arrange a meeting. A representative for President Gutmann was less than enthusiastic in her response, replying that Gutmann is very busy fundraising and saying the words “interdisciplinary education” into the mirror, so she’d have to get back to us.

PennConnects