Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Wharton Transfer Student Isn't so Sure About This Whole "Monetary Policy Thing"

Credit: Julio Sosa

Lots of questions about Penn's admissions standards are being asked after accounts surfaced of a Wharton transfer student being utterly disruptive during last semester's FNCE 101 class.

The newly-transferred student in question was known for skipping class to galavant around Manhattan, a place he calls home despite his being from an outer borough, rather than show up to class. When he did manage to show up to his monetary policy class, he began to have it out with the professor.

The professor, who wishes to remain anonymous, had just finished up reviewing the basic fundamentals of the Federal Reserve when he was berated by the student. 

"He said that he just wasn't convinced by my lecture and that he was 'not thrilled' by the idea of raising interest rates," the professor tells UTB. "I was confused, I had just explained that if inflation rises above 2 percent, the Fed will raise the Fed Funds Rate target and he just started shaking his head and yelling 'no' at me." 

The student went on to cross his arms and pout, shouting that he just didn't understand why we would be raising rates and erasing all the winning we are doing. "I tried to explain the fundamentals of macroeconomics to him and he just wouldn't have it," the professor lamented. 

The professor was utterly dismayed, feeling that the best undergraduate business program in the world should attract talented young minds that can at least grasp the idea of the existence of monetary policy. 

He does take some comfort, however, in that he believes his student probably won't go on to accomplish much at all.

PennConnects