Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

5 AMAZING Spaghet Recipes You Can Make in the Side Pocket of Your Backpack on the Way to Class

img_0583

Photo by Lea Eisenstein

Picture this: it's your busiest day of the week. You've got six hours of classes back-to-back ahead of you, and zero time to grab a real lunch. So, you pull an Obama and eat a fistful of stale almonds during the ten-minute break in your seminar and pray it'll tide you over for the rest of the afternoon.

But it doesn't have to be this way! You can eat a well-balanced, flavorful, authentic Italian meal every day using just a few ingredients and the side pocket of your backpack. And did we mention you can make it on the way to class? Check out the recipes below to learn how to harness the almighty power of spaghet.

1. Spaghet al pomodoro

A totally foolproof classic. "Pomodoro" means tomato in Italian, so naturally, this recipe calls for a a pint of cherry tomatoes, a liberal splash of Carlo Rossi Cabernet Sauvignon, and, of course, a heaping handful of your finest spaghet. Nonna would be so proud!

2. Spaghet alla Regret

In the side pocket of your backpack, insert a box of uncooked pasta, the contents of a can of Four Loko, a letter you wrote but never sent to your ex, and two 7-Eleven brand hotdogs. Mix well and let sit for four hours before eating.

3. Spaghet Carbonara

To recreate this creamy delight, simply mix a thistle of spaghet with a crock of egg in the pocket. Then, add four score and seven parmesan and let sit in the sun (it helps if you place your backpack next to the window during your morning classes). When you're ready to eat, garnish with a thumb of black pepper and a hand of bacon bits. Pairs well with a fortnight of aged grappa.

4. "Somebody Toucha My Spaghet!" Spaghet

I don't want to play favorites here, but let's be honest: no other spaghet even comes close to this one. Named after this iconic artifact of Italian-American cinema, this dish is suspiciously lukewarm and just spicy enough to take your mind off the xenophobic overtones. To prepare, toss some limp noodles into your pocket with a tin of sardines, a wallet-sized photo of Pope Francis, and an entire head of garlic, and voilà! Everyone's going to want to toucha your spaghet when you roll up to class with this confection.

5. Spaghet with a Spicy Meatball

Combine one unit of spaghet with one (1) frozen meatball (you can find these in the freezer section at FroGro) and a generous squirt of spicy brown mustard. This recipe is great because the meatball will defrost slowly throughout the day, giving the mustard enough time to infuse the whole dish with a subtle heat. That really is one spicy meatball!

Still hungry? Find more UTB-approved lunch ideas here and here.

PennConnects