Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

My Succulent Could Survive Harsh Desert Conditions But Couldn't Survive Being Alone Over Break

plant3077047_1280

Photo from Pixabay / CC0 

If you know anything about succulents, you know that the succulent is a stout and tenacious plant. At least that's what I thought when I bought Karl. 

Karl, also known as José Martí by his closest friends, was a gentle Echveria 'Perle Von Nürnberg' plant, a lovely rosette-budding succulent with beautiful pinkish leaves. Karl enjoyed direct sunlight and a tablespoon of water per week. 

Although Karl himself was from a pot of soil in Philadelphia, his ancestors survived through the scarcity and drought of the world's driest deserts. They thrived, even in harsh solitary conditions, over millennia. 

Karl and I have shared many lovely memories—our relationship was one of silent respect and careful balance. When I left Karl alone on my window sill for winter break, I thought that his tenacity would ensure that he'd be just fine on his own. 

I write this post in memory of Karl, because I was wrong about Karl and shouldn't have left him alone. An apartment is no place for a succulent to stay alone for too long. When I returned from winter break, I saw Karl's shriveled stem and felt true loss. Please remember that these plant warriors need love, care, and attention. 

PennConnects