Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Penn Swim Team Moves Practice to 38th Street Bridge Puddle

54731_swimmingananyaf

Photo by Ananya Chandra / The Daily Pennsylvanian

After a massive puddle appeared on Locust Walk just west of the 38th Street Class of 1949 Bridge this morning, coach Bill Budachek seized the rare opportunity to hold an extra practice session for the men's swim team. Scheduling is tight for use of Pottruck facilities, so Budachek invited the team for evening practice in the puddle. Conveniently, it fit Olympic size regulations.

"I'm always looking for new challenges to throw at my boys," said Budachek, looking approvingly at the vast expanse of water that lay before him. Makeshift lane lines bobbed up and down. Peering into the puddle, it was impossible to see the bottom.

Budachek led the team through their usual practice routine. During one portion, six swimmers lined up to race, crouching down on the curb south of the puddle—this served as the starting block. At Budachek's whistle, each flew into the water, sped to the other side, and performed a flip turn off the Kelly Writers House.

Budachek found it to be a productive session. "I hope it rains more often," he remarked. "It's a real blessing to get extra practice time like this."

The men's swim team's exclusive use of the puddle may soon end, however. Students report that the Penn Diving coach is also interested in the puddle as a practice location.

PennConnects