Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

OP-ED: Stop Belittling My Intelligence. My Mom and I Worked Very Hard to Get into This School

img_2519

Photo by Elizabeth Beugg

I’m a fairly easy-going girl; some might even call me “chill.” I don’t like to complain, but it’s been almost two years since I came to Penn, and I think it’s about time I stood up for myself. It’s time for people to stop assuming I didn’t earn my spot at this university. I understand that I’m privileged, but it’s unfair to discount my intellect because of that — my mom and I worked just as hard as everyone else to get here.

I’ve always been detail-oriented. Since sixth grade, I have spent countless hours each week carefully watching my mom complete my assignments. One time, she mixed up “their” and “they’re” in my admissions essay! Can you imagine what would have happened if I hadn’t caught that?

In high school, I worked hard to differentiate myself from my peers. Every Tuesday and Thursday I diligently sorted files at my mom’s office. How many other people could put something like “Assistant to the Director of Filing Operations” on their application? I’m going to file that one under “none.”

I was valedictorian. I know that’s pretty standard for most Penn students, but which other valedictorian also had a building named after them? Talk about legendary.

If you tell me I’m sheltered, you’re wrong. I’ve been through a lot. As soon as I turned 16, my parents made me drive myself to my horseback riding lessons. Also, do you even know how many tutors my mom had to fire when my SAT scores just wouldn’t improve? Luckily, I was adept enough to realize my mom and I look VERY similar; she ended up just taking the test for me. Did I forget to mention I’m a problem-solver?

I’m incredibly resilient. When I was waitlisted at Penn, I didn’t let that stop me. I had my mom call and give a very compelling account of both my character and work ethic. I wasn’t just going to sit there idly and let my dream slip through my fingertips.

So give it a rest. We all go to Penn, we all deserve to be here. (Was this convincing enough? Give it a read and let me know your thoughts. XOXO, Mom).

PennConnects