Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

​Students Excited to Drink Recklessly With School Friends After Three Weeks of Drinking Recklessly With Home Friends

9125051180_16991c1fc4_b

Photo by Jirka Matousek / CC-BY-2.0

Returning to campus after winter break, students are eager to consume alcohol in dangerous ways with their college friends again.

Kayla Johnson (E ’20) spent her break boozing without inhibition with her high school friends. “It’s always fun to see those friends again and drink alcohol in ways that endanger our health,” she said.

The opportunity to see old friends is Johnson’s favorite thing about going home for break. “It’s great to catch up with them and reminisce about high school while becoming so inebriated that we expose ourselves to greatly increased risk of bodily harm or brain damage.”

Jeffrey Chan (C ’17) missed imbibing irresponsibly with friends from school for most of break. “Being home and seeing my family was nice, but it gets really boring,” he said. “I couldn’t wait to get back to school and drink a high number of alcoholic beverages in a short period of time without an appropriate amount of water or food.”

Chan believes that experiences with college friends are totally different from those with high school friends. “I think that because you live with people and spend so much time with them, you’re much closer with friends from school," he said. "This makes engaging in dangerous binge drinking behaviors with them more special.”

Chan looks forward to the reckless drinking he will do with friends this semester. “There’s just nothing like drinking faster than your liver can metabolize ethyl alcohol and pouring drinks that exceed standard serving sizes with your buddies,” he said.

PennConnects