Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Your Crush Tagged You In a Meme: What Does It Mean?

beautifulbusinesscomputerfemale41557

Photo by PublicDomainPictures / CC0

"_____ _______ mentioned you in a comment."

If you're in a tagging-each-other-in-memes relationship with your crush, then I have good news: studies show that people who tag you in memes are 7.8 times more likely to be romantically interested in you. Still, it can be hard to read between the lines: what's the difference between being tagged in wholesome and edgy content? What does it mean if they tag other people in memes, not just you? We at Under the Button are here to help. Read on to find out what your crush means by each meme.

1. Explicitly school-related meme

Your crush from your organic chemistry study group tags you in a meme posted within the last 24 hours from "NMR and IR Spectroscopy Memes." He probably tagged Sheila and Marco, too, in the same comment. Sadly, this places you firmly in the study buddy zone. He's not interested. Sorry.

2. Generic meme / meme of the week

Ah, the beautifully non-specific meme. If your crush tags you in a Student Problems meme or the meme that's trending that week, she isn't actively thinking about you. Most likely, something in the meme sparked a memory, she thought of you, and decided you might really appreciate this meme. While a wonderful gesture of camaraderie, it's nothing more than that.

3. OUPSCC meme

An Official Unofficial Penn Squirrel Catching Club meme is similar to Student Problems, but slightly higher commitment. After all, if you comment on a meme in a group, you have to endure hundreds or even thousands of notifications when everyone else in the group tags their own friends. If someone tags you in an OUPSCC meme, they really care.

4. @A/B/C/D/etc. meme

You know the ones: "@A has to buy you McDonald's." "@M has had a crush on you for 2 years." "@S wants you to join Under the Button dot com. Wait, what?"

Your crush wants to spend time with you. Your crush feels comfortable flirting with you. If you're at this level of friendship, you should know whether the flirting is a joke or not.

5. Inside joke/esoteric meme

This meme is so niche and weirdly specific to you and your crush that you suspect the creator is spying on you, or your crush actually made it. Your crush cares about you, understands you, and just gets you. He will probably be popping the question any day now, and you will have 2.5 beautiful children.

Feel free to use this guide not only as a way to interpret your crush's tags, but to do some tagging of your own. What kind of message do you want to send? You'll want to think twice before tagging them in some basic school-related meme.

Special note: these rules apply to being tagged in a meme. If your crush DMs you a meme, they totally want you to meet them Under the Button on a weeknight so they can whisper sweet nothings in your ear. You should probably send them a When2meet so this can be arranged.

PennConnects