Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Failing UTB Bungles Bee Movie Meme Article. Sad!

utb

Last Thursday, Under The Button published this piece regarding a Bee Movie/Amy Gutmann meme. At the time, we credited the Facebook page Penn For Dank Memes for bringing the meme to our attention. We did not know that we were making a such a journalistically irresponsible move.

Later that day, we were informed that the meme had actually originated from a member of the meme group Official Unofficial Penn Squirrel Catching Club, but had found its way onto the Dank Memes page, at the time without any information in its description. We cannot overemphasize how sorry we are in the aftermath of this blunder.

UTB and our step-dad The Daily Pennsylvanian went into full panic mode. We brought in various DP alumni from the many pillars of the journalism world to advise us on how to proceed. Our organization has since conducted a full post-mortem, and we are confident that such an error will never occur again. 

Unfortunately, this gaffe was not without cost. Sources told us that Penn For Dank Memes has had to let one of its admins go. We are happy to say that this admin is reportedly fielding offers from MSNBC and will not want for employment in the coming months.

We thank you, dear reader, as well as the entire Penn community for sticking with us in these trying times.

PennConnects