Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

How To Study Over Spring Break Without Really Trying

When all your friends complain about this being the worst week of their lives, do you just sit back and roll your eyes because you have midterms AFTER break? Well if this is you- cheer up! Here are some practical ways to study over break and still have a good time.

• Just don’t.
  • Forget your passport on purpose so when you’re trying to get through security you can practice your negotiating methods.
  • At a club convince the DJ that shouting “When I say Marx, you say dialectical materialism” is the the newest trend.
  • Write important equations in the sand.
  • Reward yourself with a sip of your margarita for every paragraph read.
  • If you spot a cutie at the beach, use Mendelian punnett squares to predict what your children would look like.
  • Each time you take a flaming tequila shot, balance some combustion equations on a cocktail napkin. It's a chaser for the mind
  • Visiting family? Try to successfully explain the concept of the fluidity of gender to your conservative 80 year old grandma.
  • Watch the entire final season of Downton Abbey to understand the decentralization of the aristocracy and industrialism of 20th century England.
  • If you’re traveling on the road, make sure your driver understands the top 5 catalysts for oil price movement in global market. Then as a “fun” road game make predictions for future trends in the market. This is WAY better than “I Spy.”
  • Practice for your Art History test by stopping the Louvre tour-guide mid sentence and taking over the discussion on Leonardo da Vinci’s use of sfumato in the Mona Lisa.
  • On your trip to Rio, harass random Brazilians about the Zika outbreak so you can prepare for your Portuguese for Medical Professionals oral exam.
  • Doing Alternative Spring Break abroad? Slip in some analysis of the Oedipus complex along with your grammar lessons, so you can get a child’s perspective as qualitative research for your thesis. It’s honestly what Freud would’ve done.

PennConnects