About Us

Under The Button, your 24/7 source for all things Penn.

Penn Links

Recently Commented

Published 02/19/14 2:09pm

PennApps Spring 2K14: Absurd Nerds And Their Flappy Birds

eatsleephack

Ah PennApps, small, delightful dishes of food that Quakers enjoy before a main course in order to stimulate the appetite. But also a semesterly reminder that what many SEASers lack in social life and hours of sleep, they make up for in hackathon winnings.

This past weekend, a buncha CS-minded n3rd$ (nerdspeak for 'nerds') from all over the world came to compete for a piece of dat $30K in our very own Engineering Quad. Fueled by pizza and confidence, these hackers cooked up apps that attracted sponsors like Venmo, Yahoo, Microsoft, and Other Companies I Wish I Could Intern At Because Their Offices Look Really Cool.

As you might expect, a lot of neat and…ahem, quirky stuff was born during the 48 hours of PennApps Spring 2014, so we didja a solid and sorted out the Facebooks from the Faceplants:

1st place: Homework Help

Take academic dishonesty to the next level with a smart machine that can interpret math problems and write out solutions in your handwriting +    gives you more time to appreciate the finer things in life -     your study group wonders why you don't need them anymore -     lifelong guilt

2nd place: PipeTeX

Makes it easier to write documents involving math equations (e.g. 2 + 2 = 4) +    CaMeLcApS +    really great for people who like math -     unclear why it's called PipeTeX, but probably obvious to someone who cares

3rd place: GoogolPlex

Lets third-party apps use Siri, so you can Instagram, Venmo, Spotify and more all with the touch of a voice +    finally get some use out of Siri -     you have to say "GoogolPlex" before a command -     how does Google feel about all this???

Good Lookin': whaticookup

Identifies ingredients in a picture you take and says what you can make from them +    literally an app that can help you make app-etizers (sorry) -     useless when your fridge is empty -     always comes up with 'smoothie'

For The Birds: Be the Bird

Lets you control the bird in Flappy Bird clones by flapping your arms +    they have a video demonstration +    genius -     your high score is still, like, 2

Picture Perfect: PerfectPicture

A camera app that doesn't take a group picture until everyone is smiling and has their eyes open +    photobombers have to be smiling to be successful -     difficult to use at a funeral +    jk, they have an option to turn the smile requirement off

A Plus For Effort: PennCoursePlus

A Chrome extension that displays PennCourseReview ratings within Penn InTouch's course listings +    spares us the extra tab and the searching, oh the searching +    something we didn't know we wanted so bad -     wasn't available last semester

Said Ooh Girl, Shock Me Like: The Electric Eel

No joke, this is a controllable electric condom that delivers small shocks to your peepee for maximum pleasure. +    this actually fucking exists +    it's like a prototype and everything +    "...the designs have all been personally tested by the design team for their effectiveness and safety." +    it's open source +    MGMT

All On The Floor: Smack That!

Silence your phone instantly by smacking it +    an outlet for sexual frustration -    draw even more attention to yourself when your phone goes off in class

Aight: EyeWrite

Lets you select inputs and control your iPad with only your eye movements +    medical utility, important, makes the world a better place, greater good, wow -     the hack name makes way too much sense

homework-machine

That's all, folks! Except it's not. Check out the entire submission gallery here.