Under the Button is part of a student-run nonprofit.

Surprise! Sunless Tanning Could Also Cause Cancer

spray_tanning_machine_manufacturing_suppliers_tan_uv_free_beauty_care_business__2_

It's summertime, and you're tryin' to get your bronze on. Everyone and their uncle may have warned you of the dangers of sun exposure, especially with recent end-of-times Philly temperatures and that pesky ozone hole. No worries, you think. There's always spray tanning, you think.

NOT SO FAST!  According to Penn Med toxicologist Dr. Rey Pannetieri, a chemical in spray tanner might be cancerous. DHA, the active ingredient that alters skin color, is fine when applied externally to skin. But when you breathe it in--like you might when it's being sprayed right at your face---things could get ugly. When inhaled or ingested, the chemical stands a better chance of getting into the bloodstream. From there it could potentially act as a carcinogen, mutating DNA at the cellular level.

Pannetieri goes on to say that people who get occasional spray tans are not at serious risk for the potential side effects. But if you hit the showers on a weekly basis, perhaps it's time to reconsider your options. With sun and spray tans both ruled out, you may have no choice but to go streaking through the chocolate fountain at Penn 16's convocation. For beauty, for health,  FOR SCIENCE!

PennConnects