That's right: Penn's Philomathean Society is bringing us former World Chess Champion and 2007 Russian presidential candidate, Garry Kasparov! Scheduled for next Tuesday (April 3rd) in the Harrison Auditorium of Penn Museum, Kasparov is set to pawn off words of wisdom "on his experiences in chess and politics." The talk will be followed by a reception, offering students the chance to meet him (and potentially challenge him to a lil' Chess With Friends). Not interested? These specs could change your mind:
- Kasparov was ranked number one in the world for 255 consecutive months–the longest streak ever in the history of ever
- He retired from chess in 2005 and since has become a leader of The Other Russia
- He is known to chess fans as the "Beast From Baku" after his aggressive style of play (Grrrr, baby, very grrrrrr)
- This three minute long video of black and white footage of him gaming to the tune of dramatic music exists
- He has a website! And wrote a book! And will sell you as many stainless steel initialed key chains (on CLEARANCE) your money can buy.