Have you ever been torn between Pilates and piña coladas? Stuck in a mental war with weights and whiskey? Don't know whether you want down dog or Dogfish Head? Annoying alliteration aside (ha ha), ignoring the Ivy League guilt of productivity--both academically and physically--for the sake of happy hour can be difficult. However, a recent study could make that choice much easier.
The study observed mice in different living environments: half in a social setting and half in an isolated setting. Results suggested that mice with friends lost more weight than their antisocial counterparts; additionally, the social mice also had more "brown fat"--the type that burns calories.
So what? You're not a mouse, we know. However, you now have an awesome, science-y excuse the next time you'd rather go eat a burger with your housemates than be surrounded by sweat and sports bras. And what better way to skip a solo library sesh than by boozing it up?!?! On that note, here's a list of drink specials around campus (i.e. within walking distance of that 3:30-5 p.m. lecture) we think are worth checking out:
- Mad Mex: half off all draft beers, weekdays 4:30-6 p.m.
- Tap House: $2 off all local beers, Mondays 5-7 p.m.
- Drinker's West: $1 PBR cans, Wednesdays 5-10 p.m.
- Local 44: $3.30 local drafts, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Distrito: $2 Tecate cans, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Copabanana: $2.50 domestic mugs, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Blockley Pourhouse: 1/2 price drafts and appetizers, Monday-Friday 5-7 p.m.
- Cavanaugh's: $8 Yuengling pitchers, Tuesdays 4-10 p.m.
- New Deck: $1 off all bottles, Monday-Saturday 3-5 p.m.
- Tria: three "uncommon" wines for $5 each, Monday-Saturday 4-6 p.m
- Smokey Joe's: $2 pints and $6.50 pitchers, Monday-Friday until 7 p.m.