Good, Bad, Ugly: Penn basketball vs. Cornell

What went down in Penn basketball’s 79-72 win over Cornell Saturday night? We take a look at the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good: The Quakers played their best offensive game of the season. The Red and Blue got scoring from veterans and young guns alike: six different players scored in double figures, from juniors such as Darien Nelson-Henry (12 points) all the way down to freshmen such as Antonio Woods and Sam Jones (15 and 13, respectively.) It was a balanced, high-energy Penn attack that looked much like the one many forecasted coming into the season.

The Bad: Jones, the freshman shooting sensation, was absolutely electric yet again, going 5-for-6 from the floor. However, he was seen grimacing and grabbing his left elbow (in which he has torn ligaments) at points during the second half. If the injury is in any way serious, it would be a grave concern for Penn going forward.

The Ugly: Obviously, the elephant in the room Saturday evening was Jerome Allen’s impending unemployment. The fact that a squad capable of such an impressive victory (not to mention last night’s shutdown of Columbia) was unable to save its coach’s job is more than a bit frustrating. Hopefully Allen’s successor can inspire his players to make tonight’s performance the norm rather than the exception.